Thread: Valdez Halibut Charter ?

Default Valdez Halibut Charter ?

Can anyone give feedback on Valdez charters they have used? Looking at the different websites, of course, each charter service insinuates they are the best. I know you expect to catch fish every time, just looking for honest feedback. I've always fished out of Seward or Nilnilchik. Thanks!

Gary

Default Halibut Grove

Never taken on, have own boat. But a few friends have use Halibut Grove and really spoke highly of the trip. Caught lots of fish and all round good time.

350SD

Default Yea, Halibut grove is good and he is a forum member too

You also have ladyluck charters, they have been around a long time too.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default yup

The Harvestor always does pretty good.

Look into the guys that repeatedly make the top 10 in the derby.

Don't use Swifty's....Brandon (grandson of owner) took my money for mounting shark jaws...275$ - only issue was that I never got the Jaws....and he wouldn't return my calls. Owner told me that the side work wasn't part of his business...said Brandon was down in Oklahoma working...then I saw him in a fish alaska magazine where he was fishing silvers......I am bitter.

Default Orion charters

I have fished with Capt. Dan Wiley about 4 times, he does agreat job!
    It my be tough to get a booking with him as he books up very early. I would checkout his website and give him a call, he my have a space.
    It can be a bit of a hardcore trip i.e. long days and open water in the gulf.
    If this does not sound like your cup of tea then I would not bother calling.
    The times that I have been out we did great. Sometimes we would travel out as far as Middeton island when the weather was good.

Wiley is the guy. I would suggest contacting him.

Default Valdez Halibut Charter

my family and I always go with Steve Thurneau on the Harvester. Always a great trip with lots of fish.Steve sponsors the alaska fisheries forum and you can get his contact info there.

Dave Wiley at Orion. Awesome!

Default Halibut Grove

My daughter and I went out with Halibut Grove last year and had a blast.

1st choice Otter dodger
    2nd choice Orion
    If they were not available I would not go.

1st choice: Reel Pleasure Charters if Capt Dave is still running the boat. Rumor had it he was going to retire. He might already be retired for all I know. Never seen a captain go out of his way so much to make sure everybody gets their limit. All around great guy. Easy to get along with. Have seen him stay out till 8 PM so everybody gets their limit. Doesn't fish for chickens. Likes the Wessels Reef area which is known for big halibut and Lings.

2nd choice: Orion Charters. Capt Dave Wiley is pretty much a legend in Valdez for his big fish. Likes to fish the Middleton Island area for big halibut. Not a charter for everybody, can rub people the wrong way as he is a little gruff.

MikeL has it right but I reversed his list. Good luck an hope you have fun.

Default Otter Dodger

Dennis on Otter Dodger. hillbilly

Default Halibut Grove, no question

You cannot go wrong with Mel on the Halibut Grove. Never been disappointed.

http://www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com/

Default capts

Dave Wiley, Steve Thurneau, Dave Bruss (No Excuses). All VERY good!

Orion charters "lost" my booking, which I made months in advance, I showed up and there was already a party of six people there. Very rude, acted like I was mistaken. Then I get a call later in the day that they found it in their "other" reservation book. Offered to take me out free to make up for it. Fair enough. Show up at the docks next morning, no one around. Finally got ahold of them later that day they claimed it was too rough even though I stood there and watched all the other boats go out. Didn't bother to call and let me know even though they had my cell number and the number at my b&b. Two wasted mornings and not so much as an apology. Worst charter experience ever!