Thread: Trailer Guide on

Default Trailer Guide on

Has anyone tackled fabricating bunker style guide-ons for a Baker Trailer or an EZ Loader (single axel)? I know there are a plethora of aftermarket sets, but I wanted a combo bunker style and posts w/lights. Launching at Pilars is difficult without them. I can purchase the Cabelas variety, but my buddy has a baker trailer and with his fender and steps are too wide for the bunker 60" wide style and the 8' models is pretty expensive. I also know that if I chose to take my boat out of Deep Creek it is mandatory to have for beach launch. If anyone has tried and the result was too expensive relative to an aftermarket product let me know before I waste my time. thanks

Default Same Issue

TALAGA,

Why does it seem like you and I have the same issue's. I also am looking into the same thing. Hopefully get some imput from other members on this subject.

SEEBLAZE - We have the same inquiries, because as new boat owners we justify spending more money on items we think are necessities, when in all actuality they are accesories. Accessories that make improve performance, riding comfort, towing...things like that. at least that is what I tell my fiancee'.

Default I agree

I tell my wife the same thing, when I told her I needed guides for the boat she asked why I needed a guide, and said, "that why we bought the boat so we wouldn't need to use a guide." I told her she doesn't understand, and she probally never would. She still upset we need a guide for the boat. Gotta love it.

Default Ve Ve inc

Has anyone tried Ve-Ve incorporated? Looks like they have good product in guide-on's and bunkers. I noticed that you can buy the fittings and posts for the bunkers and then supply your own wood to make them any size. Any reviews would be appreciated. There link is http://veveinc.com

Smile

I have mad many sets for friends and myself go to veve site get an idea then build your own. I used the white cutting board instead of carpet work great just bevel the edges so it slides. So many ways to build them, people buy them cause they don't have the time or tools. Enjoy your project.

If you have access to the equipment they are very easy to build. If you start paying for someone to build them for you, it might be best to just buy them. If these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...382&hasJS=true

aren't long enought to fit your friends trailer you could always remove the bunk and build your own with a piece of treated 2"x4" cut to your length and then covered with a piece of outdoor carpet. To me that would be affordable and easy to do.

All good points made hear. I think Since I do not have the tools I will probably check out the Cabelas guides. I have a large wish list on their website, so I might get shipping free!!!

Just remember, boats are a hole in the water you throw money into! I am heading toward the 4th summer with my boat and I'm still adding accessories, lol.

Default make, if can

Looking at the Veve referenced above, I'd sure stay away from the ones that use a plate for your "support" arms. The tubing ones may be fine, if heavy enough tubing, but the plates will bend if you ever load in a river. It is not hard to make these, but a welder is very handy, at least. I'd guess a GOOD, solid set would run you $60-80 for all the parts. j

Wink ...beep, beep, beep...

...whoa there, back the trailer up.
    I have the remnants of a set of guide ons just like that. (I looked at both links above) Mine got wiped out when the river I run was flooding. Just the perfect time to lose my guide ons. That thin tubular "steel" WILL buckle.
    For the big boat I drove down to Trailer Craft and had em build a set that a tank couldn't dent. Go around back then into the shop area and find Bubba. If you're suave (I'm not) or if you can negotiate (I can) you might get a price as good as those shown. I did. Better.
    Buy Alaskan, Or at least give them a chance to price the job.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Trailercraft

Thanks for the info Bullbuster I will make the call to trailercraft. I agree with trying to stay Alaskan made. It seems that shipping to our great state is getting out of hand. I have had the cabelas made brand on my Bayrunner and after time they tend to bend out of shape. Does anyone perfer Bunks over Post guide-ons? I have some built in fender guards on my trailer and I would like to get bunk guide ons but around my fender is a 2 foot step up on each side that make the span of about 7'. I never had post guide-on's but i assume they dont guide on as well as bunkers. Attached is a photo of the trailer I am trying to add to. The problem is the existing bunkers are to low and when I start going out of deep creek or anchor river I want a higher guide on for better control. Give me your thoughts...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the the same trailer with the small bunks. They do their thing but as you said aren't tall enough. I added the post style and they work just fine for me. The posts also make it easier to see an empty trailer while backing.

Default Trailering

AKBIGhorn I didnt think about the aid in backing up that is a good point. I think I will give the post guide-on's a try. Do you remember what size you bought? I was thinking the 60" are way to tall so I am looking at some 45" posts. Man it seems like you always need something else for the boat. Now I need a depth finder etc....

Question ?'s for Bullbuster & AK_Baker

Bullbuster,
    Do you remember what Trailer Craft charged you for those?

AK_Baker,
    Nice boat, what prop do you run? Do you have any getting on step issue when travel with 4 or 5 people? Cannot tell is that a 50 horse?

Seeblaze I do have the 50Hp detuned. I can get on step with 5 guys but once I throw in a few big kings it starts to struggle. I am not nearly as fast as all the guides on the river the tend to blow by me. I beleive I have the 11-5/8" by 10 pitch but I will have to verify that. It was the prop that was suggested by River and Sea marine in Soldotna.

The post guides that I use are about 45". I wouldn't want them any taller than that for my boat. If you buy some and they are longer than what you want you can easy cut them to length with a hacksaw and replace the cap. You can't see the bunks because my wife is in the way but thought I'd put up a picture.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 05-09-2007 at 23:50.

BOAT

Break Our Another Thousand

So many boats so little time. Whats this nut in my pocket? Oh yah. No I don't want stainless it's for the boat.

I have one in my hand what do you mean they don't make them.

Got to love our holes in the water, boat, no the reality is we got to float.