Thread: bowhunting alaska

Default bowhunting alaska

I am trying to put together a bow hunting trip to alaska. i don't want a guide or fancy place to go. i just want to rough it and see what i am made of. I am from colorado and am an experienced bowhunter elk and mule deer under my belt. any info will help. also i would be willing to trade a colorado elk or mule deer hunt for help in alaska? thanks everyone for there time.

A few bits of info from you would make it a lot easier for folks to give you reasonable suggestions.

-What species would you hope to make your priority? Caribou? Moose? Black bear? Choosing one will make your chances of success much greater, though in some cases you can plan a multi-species hunt.

-What is your budget?

-Do you hope to hike in? Fly in?

Do you have a bowhunters certification course, either NBEP or IBEF? If not, you should plan on attending a class before heading up to get the certification card. That will open up several possibilities for you.

Costs would be comparible for a road system hunt vs. doing a flyout. A truck would be around $100 per day and gas would add up depending on how far you travel. Being on the roads offer you a lot more flexibility, but with it will come crowds. You can rent a truck for 10 days and travel from Fairbanks to Prudhoe and have the possibility of moose, caribou and black bear all in archery only hunts. The moose hunting would be in and around Fairbanks with an any bull limit. Caribou would be a 5 bull limit about 400 miles north of Fairbanks. You could GPS the truck, start walking and get as remote as you want. Just gotta remember that packing out bulllwinkle is a bit more involved than an elk.

A fly out would be a one time shot around $1500-2000 for round trip and a possible extra flight to get meat out. This would give you a lot more of the remote experience, and you wouldn't have the crowds to deal with. This would probably be more of a species specific hunt though, so you would have to choose what you want to go after.

Lots of options, give us some of your wants and we can help you a little more.

Ditto to everything Jerod said. Also, understand that some species require you to have a *guide* to hunt, like Brown Bear, Dall Sheep, Mtn Goats, etc.. Be sure to check the Ak Fish and Game site to see what you can hunt DIY (so-to-speak). Also, check season times for non residents. Most people do best to pick *one* species to hunt, research it, then start making plans. You can always buy tags for other species, but make the plans for one.

The most popular archery hunts, and I think in the order of successful hunts: 1.) black bear (Spring time is prime hide time); 2.) Caribou (can be had almost year round); and 3.) Moose. In Southeast Alaska (Prince of Wales Island) and on Kodiak Island there is a good chance to hunt Black Bear and Sitka Blacktail Deer as a good combo hunt.

Once you have done a little more research and narrowed down what you want to do...then you will most likely get more opportunities to hear from folks.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    In Southeast Alaska (Prince of Wales Island) and on Kodiak Island there is a good chance to hunt Black Bear and Sitka Blacktail Deer as a good combo hunt.
    No black bears on Kodiak, Roger. He could do a deer/goat or a deer/brown bear combo on Kodiak, but as you mentioned, he would need a guide for goats, brown bear, or sheep.

Roger must have been having a senior moment he knows there are no black bear on Kodiak.
    you can also buy a moose tag then get moose, caribou, wolf, and black bear harvest tickets (free). if you shoot any of these you can use the moose tag and then go buy another tag. wolf tags are so cheap i would probably not use a $400 dollar moose tag for wolf or black bear. but you could rather than spending $985 for all the tags and there is a good chance not to fill half. (you can use big game tag for any equal or lesser value species....but is 1 for 1, can't use moose tag for a black bear and a wolf)
    most of haul road bowhunting only area is drawing permit for moose. AND PERMITS HAVE ALREADY BEEN DRAWN
    packing in Alaska is not like packing in CO. Tundra, muskeg and tussucks will humble most.
    best chances for success IMHO will be for caribou and black bear. in most cases they will not be in the same area. IE: haul road caribou best north of atigan pass, black bear are only south of the pass.
    as stated by Roger POW would be good combo choice for black bear and blacktail sitka deer, remote cabins are available from forest service or hunting off logging road system by renting a vehicle .

GOOD LUCK
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER