Thread: Koyukuk Moose Photos

Default Koyukuk Moose Photos

I drew a Koyukuk DM830 tag and wanted to see photos os some moose from the area. What can I realistically expect for size and numbers for this late hunt?

Default koyukuk

I drew 828 heard there are a few spikes over there.

Good Luck,Big 27
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Quote Originally Posted by wasillahunter View Post
    I drew a Koyukuk DM830 tag and wanted to see photos os some moose from the area. What can I realistically expect for size and numbers for this late hunt?
    Only ever seen one spike up there. Most of the bulls we seen were in the high 40's to low 50's. But every year somone would shoot one in the low 60's to maybe 70. But they were the exception, not the rule. But if you can get your boat deep into 3 day slough it is another matter. More moose and bigger to boot.

Expensive trip, but worth every penny. But make sure your boat can carry about 350 gallons of gas on deck along with all your gear. Do a search as there is a lot of history about the hunts up there.
    Tennessee

Default Not 3 day

3 day slough has been shut down, at least at the top end for years. There is a sand dune at the top that makes it tough to get a canoe across.
    The soft mud and muck makes it difficult to try and drag a small boat or canoe down or up 3 day.
    I'm not even sure you could get an airboat up it. Not sure how they do in the muck and soft stuff.
    Expect to see more non-tropy bulls than reallly big ones. It only stands to reason. But there is nothing wrong with finding a 55" or so bull. They are mature and beautiful at that size.

Wink

In my photo album on this site there are some moose pictures - most of which come from the Koyukuk. Should be enough there to give you an Idea of what to expect.

Default They are buried in my shed

I have 1 58" and 1 62" set in my shed. I will try to get them dug out. The 62" probably would score very well. 58" was taken on Iron Man slough(DM830) and the other(62") was taken in a secret hot spot in DM817. However, You are more likely to get 60 " moose than in most areas and they are thickly palmed with good browtines.

I had a bad problem of not taken pictures of critters that I have shot. That is the way with my sheep too. I have them mounted at my dad's place. I got a pile of pictures in the 35 mm instamatic format so I need to scan them. I have a digital now but I guess I need to get up to date.

Sincerely,
    Thomas