Thread: Tying for the Upcoming Move

Default Tying for the Upcoming Move

My wife and I are planning on moving to the Anchorage area in the next 2-3 months (hopefully sooner), and I was wondering what I should be tying? I am putting together some Grayling boxes of various patterns (PTN's, Hares Ear, Caddis patterns, Black Gnats, Mosquitos, PMD's, Adams, and a few others), what sizes do you typically see? And are there any other good bugs to have?

Thanks for all of your time and assistance.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

For grayling flies I use caddises, stimulators, griffiths gnats and black parachutes. Caddises I use from size 10-18, gnats I use size 18, black parachutes 14-18 and stimulators I go big. As far as nymphs GRHE, and BeadheadPT. Grayling seem to like the back and gray colors more in my experience.
    Good luck!
    Riley

And I forgot to mention the Mosquito, which has to be one of the greatest grayling flies.

in my experience anything that floats and looks buggy will catch grayling... I like matching the hatch though I think you get bigger fish on average if you do. We have pretty good hatches of march browns (in july though go figure) BWOs, and a few bigger mayflies like green drakes. Stoneflies are pretty abundant, especially yellow sallies. Caddis hatch all summer, and some of the best hatches are caddis. In my experience fish looking up will rarely refuse a caddis imitation or a green drake.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    My wife and I are planning on moving to the Anchorage area in the next 2-3 months (hopefully sooner), and I was wondering what I should be tying? I am putting together some Grayling boxes of various patterns.....

How about some salmon and trout patterns since there are not a huge number of grayling waters near where you are moving to, but there are lots of salmon and trout waters.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    How about some salmon and trout patterns since there are not a huge number of grayling waters near where you are moving to, but there are lots of salmon and trout waters.
    Right now Im just tying for the trip, I have a bunch of salmon patterns tied but could always use more.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Right now Im just tying for the trip...
    Oh...the trip up...well then you will also want some lake trout stuff once you get further north. Kluane is right on the side of the road and if you have the time take it.

Yea, you should definately stop at kluane. It is in my top 3 favorite places to fish lakers. I have never flyfished it, but I plan to in september. There is supposed to be some nice pike fishing up there, also, but I have never tried for them.

Default Only one more suggestion

Copper Johns in black, green, red, and gold (copper..whatever). Sizes 14- 8...but I usually run 10's.