Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diesel jet boat

Default diesel jet boat

Anyone seen it yet?

Had one at the Fairbanks outdoors show, looked to be about a 22 footer, not cheap, 60k.

Quote Originally Posted by akfury View Post
    Anyone seen it yet?
    Saw it at the outdoor show as well! Looks like a well built boat. Cant remember who was making them. I'd be curious about their holeshot. I suppose with a turbo it would do just fine.
    "One Last Cast"

Default Boulton Diesel Powered Jet

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Saw it at the outdoor show as well! Looks like a well built boat. Cant remember who was making them. I'd be curious about their holeshot. I suppose with a turbo it would do just fine.
    The boat at the show was the 22' Boulton with Hamilton 212 2.4 Turbo impeller. The engine is the FNM 250HP Diesel. Weighs 100lbs less then a 350 and 7" shorter.

Here's some flowscan numbers at the demo conducted on the Chena.

RPM MPH GPH
    3000 25 5
    3100 28.8 6
    3400 32.4 7.3
    3600 36.4 8.8
    3700 38 9
    3900 39 12.2
    4100 41 15

Weight tested in Valdez over the weekend. Boat full of 90 gallons of fuel weighs 4000lb.

With 9, 32gallon trash cans full of water and two passengers the boat carried the extra 2700lbs of payload on step at 27mph at 3700rpms at 9.0 gallons per hour on the flowscan.

With full tank and 4 passengers, lined up against a 8.1L Thunderjet, beat the Thunder by 5 boat lengths out of the hole until he caught up. Thunder had overall faster speed. The boulton cruised at the same speed with an extra 200 rpms. He can have the top end, I'll take the economy.

After 4.6 hours from fuel top off, the flow scan indicated 18.8 cumulative gallons. The boat took 19 to top off again so the flow scan is nearly dead on for a total of 4.13 gph after weight testing and hot dogging the boat during the demos.

If your tired of dumping fuel out the tail pipe now is the time to switch to diesel. FNM Alaska is factory direct dealer for the Boutlon with the FNM diesel engines.

They'll be doing demo rides at the Wasilla Lake in the near future.

You can reach them at 907-440-9148.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Quite a few down in the Lower 48

The majority of PrecisionWeld boats are desiels these days. They have even built a couple of twin diesels. HCM has built one as well. I have ridden and drove several. They work pretty good. Not as peppy as a gasser but they get the job done with a lot less fuel.

Default Just as peppy

Quote Originally Posted by MTRiverRunner View Post
    The majority of PrecisionWeld boats are desiels these days. They have even built a couple of twin diesels. HCM has built one as well. I have ridden and drove several. They work pretty good. Not as peppy as a gasser but they get the job done with a lot less fuel.
    I'd have to say the Boulton with the FNM250 is just as peppy as any gas powered boat using the Hamilton. I'll be conducting demo rides Saturday at the Wassila Lake from the Matsu Resort boat launch. Anyone that has a similar style boat should bring it out and we'll do some comparison runs. If you do decide to bring your boat, weigh the boat so we can compare apples to apples.

Are these puppies being turbo charged??? Turbos work best with very cold air intake, and I would think that being on water would assist in this Also, I think some of the engineers would love to do "custom burns" on four position Chip and/or programmer Sounds like fun.

BTW, turbo charging, chipping, and finding the "right" exhaust system will all benefit the diesel engine, make it perform better/faster, and *improve* the MPGs!!! All win/win IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Turbo Charged

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Are these puppies being turbo charged??? Turbos work best with very cold air intake, and I would think that being on water would assist in this Also, I think some of the engineers would love to do "custom burns" on four position Chip and/or programmer Sounds like fun.

BTW, turbo charging, chipping, and finding the "right" exhaust system will all benefit the diesel engine, make it perform better/faster, and *improve* the MPGs!!! All win/win IMHO.
    Yes they're turbo charged. Your absolutely correct on the exhaust system, it's a critical component on a diesel.

Default Why not

Tell me why I should not buy one of these. I can't trust anybody who is bragging about how good their efficiency is, because they all measure using one second in time and it is usually going down river and/or at best rpm. Looks like a wide open diesel is twice better than the most efficient 350's at optimum rpm's and conditions. Why not. who do I make the check out to?

Default No Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by no pavement View Post
    Tell me why I should not buy one of these. I can't trust anybody who is bragging about how good their efficiency is, because they all measure using one second in time and it is usually going down river and/or at best rpm. Looks like a wide open diesel is twice better than the most efficient 350's at optimum rpm's and conditions. Why not. who do I make the check out to?
    Come out Saturday May 8th to the MatSu Resort, Wasilla Lake and see for yourself. The numbers provided are directly from a flowscan and GPS. As stated in the previous post our test results were on the Chena river in Fairbanks. We also were running that test with 40 gallons of fuel on board. Here's some more data from test on Lake Lucile on Monday with 80 gallons on board.

Rpm/GPH/Speed/Engine Load % (From Diagnostic Software)
    2900/4.5/20
    3000/5.1/23.5/57
    3082/5.6/25.5/59
    3200/5.7/27/65
    3300/6.4/29.8/70
    3400/7.0/31/73
    3500/7.9/33/74
    3600/8.2/34/75
    3700/9.0/35/76
    3800/11/38/84
    4000/12/39/90
    4100/13.9/39.5/100

After 4.5 hours of running in rough seas in Homer, a bunch of horse play and the above testing, the flowscan indicates 23.3 gallons used for a cumulative consumption of 5.1gph.

It's all about crank horsepower at the shaft at a given rpm. The 330hp 350 is stalled out by the pump at 4100-4200 producing only 220-250hp. Doesn't matter what size hp engine you throw in front of the pump. If it can't produce more power then the pump absorbs at a given rpm you'll only see the pump hp performance. The FNM 250's power at WOT matches perfect with the 2.4 Turbo impeller absorption and has plenty to spare at typical cruise rpms between 3000-3700. The engine when close coupled to the hamilton is 7" shorter and 100lbs lighter as well, which just adds to better economy in the long run with less weight.

Check out http://www.fnmalaska.net/HPE225_250Series.html for some pictures of the engine installed in the Boulton.

Default Diesel Jetboats

I own two diesel jetboats and i will never own a gas boat again.I have a new 2010 20' Precisionweld with a 6BY yanmar/BMW 260 hp turbo and a 213 Hamilton pump/2.7 impeller for the small rivers.I also have a 2007 25' Precisionweld with a 6LP yanmar and a Hamilton 241.Both have stick steer and i run offroad fuel.You only live one time and now is the time to drive a diesel.I have had jetboats for 26 years.

Eagle1

I would spend my money on a diesel anything now days with the way there changeing the fuel next year. Don't get me wrong I like that boat alot. But with all the changes come to diesel fuel it will hard enough to sell my over priced diesel truck.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I would spend my money on a diesel anything now days with the way there changeing the fuel next year. Don't get me wrong I like that boat alot. But with all the changes come to diesel fuel it will hard enough to sell my over priced diesel truck.
    Other then going to low sulfur diesel, what are you referring to? Keep in mind you don't have to buy highway diesel either for a boat. Off-road diesel is cheaper then gas, let alone the better the fuel economy. As far as price, I'd say they're pretty competitively priced to a equivalently equipped gas version of the competition at this time.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Precision Weld has been doing diesel jet boats for years He makes high end custom white water jet boats and they are really nice. Check them out. I saw one he was building it was 25' with twin 300HP BMW Diesel engines. http://www.precisionweldboats.com/

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    Precision Weld has been doing diesel jet boats for years He makes high end custom white water jet boats and they are really nice. Check them out. I saw one he was building it was 25' with twin 300HP BMW Diesel engines. http://www.precisionweldboats.com/

Mike
    They look well built and heavy. Any idea what the weight is on the BMW?

Theres more jetboats per-capita in Cordova than anywhere in the world. I've fished there and had 6 different jetboats in the last 30 years. You couldn't give me a diesel. I watch the diesel guys on the beach waiting weeks for parts. Most jet boats are direct drive (no tranny) so when you're starting them cold they have a load on them, thats awful hard on a 30k diesel. Plus the fact that there is no neutral so you're using the starter 50 times more, again murder on a diesel. The performance isn't there, the fuel is higher price and they last the same amount of time as a gas engine. Its a no-brainer 12k for a 496 vortec w/ a mechanical throttle and 390 hp, or 30k for a Yanmar 315 w/ a electronic throttle and only 315 hp that weighs 120lbs more, hmm I know what motor I want the gas motor. Say the gas motor burns 15gal and hour compared to the 9 gal an hour on the diesel. Theres no way you could burn the difference in price in fuel before you are replacing your motor and starting over. The only advantage I see w/ diesel is its safer cause its less volatile.
    As for the BMW diesel.....they're stacked like cordwood behind Cordova Outboard, people that had them went back to gas or switched to cummins, believe me when I say the BMW is junk

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    They look well built and heavy. Any idea what the weight is on the BMW?
    I am not a jet guy I know Tom @ Precision Weld because he buys some of my products and I do know he has a very good reputation ofr building nice boats.

I can't argue any points of gas Vs diesel because I know zip about jets but give Tom a call or send him an email I do know he will have answers for your questions.

Mike

fullbush, wow perhaps reading the WHOLE thread would clue you in better. Mel is talking about a smaller diesel that is lighter and burns less fuel. He already stated that offroad fuel is cheaper than gas and has the same power as a 350. Personally I would never own a big block in a jet boat. The 496 you speak of is a hog compared to the 350 and the diesel being discussed.

The Yanmar weighs less than a 496. It is quite a bit longer though. Also, it is only rated at 315 HP but it will turn a 4.0 impellar the same RPMs as the 496, so the top end performance is pretty close. The only performance advantage (with a HJ212) the gas motor has is that it doesnt have any turbo lag. Most people say that they are able to get used to the turbo lag, I personally like the snap of a gasser.

Quote Originally Posted by MTRiverRunner View Post
    The Yanmar weighs less than a 496. It is quite a bit longer though. Also, it is only rated at 315 HP but it will turn a 4.0 impellar the same RPMs as the 496, so the top end performance is pretty close. The only performance advantage (with a HJ212) the gas motor has is that it doesnt have any turbo lag. Most people say that they are able to get used to the turbo lag, I personally like the snap of a gasser.
    The 315 at the yanmar site weighs 408Kg/899lbs see here http://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/ya.../6LPA-STP2.pdf

What's the weight of a 496?

As far as lag goes, the Boulton with FNM jumps out of the water as fast or even fast then the gasser. I personally don't feel any lag. We lined up with an 8.1 Thunderjet and had 5 boat lengths ahead of him before he finally caught up. We lined up with a 20' thunder jet also with a light load and with the 350 and 2.4 impeller. I had 5 passengers and full of fuel. We were equal out of the hole and he was faster at top end since he was much lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast