Thread: Cabins on Hinchinbrook

Default Cabins on Hinchinbrook

I'm taking three guys with me halibut fish by Hinchinbrook for three days. I planned on saving some fuel and just staying out there. I was considering staying at the cabin either in Shelter Bay or Double Bay. I have a 30' boat, which would be better anchorage and easiest to get to. Just in case I might want to throw one of the guys off the boat in the ocean and thought it might be better to get off of the boat an stay at one of the cabins for a night or two. I have a skiff to run ashore and just thought it might look bad if I left I guy floating around in a skiff so I thought I'd try a cabin. Both cabins are open the dates we are looking at fishing.

Double Bay goes nearly dry on low tides and the cabin is in a poor spot. I was at the cabin durring a williwa in September one year and ran my boat into the creek in front of the cabin, tied off to a tree and let it go dry through 2 tides. It can blow so hard that it sucks!

I would stay at Shelter bay. You need to go in and out on a high tide as the lagoon runs out like a shallow river at low tide. I have been in there but don't know how good the anchorage is, the bay has a lot of eel grass that may make holding difficult.

If the tides are right either one may work for you, plan on going in and out at high tide either place.

Quote Originally Posted by akbones View Post
    Double Bay goes nearly dry on low tides and the cabin is in a poor spot. I was at the cabin durring a williwa in September one year and ran my boat into the creek in front of the cabin, tied off to a tree and let it go dry through 2 tides. It can blow so hard that it sucks!

I would stay at Shelter bay. You need to go in and out on a high tide as the lagoon runs out like a shallow river at low tide. I have been in there but don't know how good the anchorage is, the bay has a lot of eel grass that may make holding difficult.

If the tides are right either one may work for you, plan on going in and out at high tide either place.

The above info is dead on. I had my 21ft boat driven on shore by high winds while in front of the Shelter Bay cabin. The bay is super shallow and the anchorage is poor. Depending on weather I would anchor out in front of the inlet to the bay. I also thought it was tight getting my jet boat back there, I would not want to try a large vessel with a prop.

That area gets some of the worse winds I have ever seen. The storms came through every other day.

The Shelter Bay cabin was nice and the fishing nearby is great. Just use your head and be safe.

Default Thanks for the Info

I am dragging my 18' Lund to use going into the cabin. I was planning on using a double anchor and setting up outside of the bay on which ever cabin I use. We have a week in the middle of July to fish so I may throw some extra gas in the Lund and run over my Montague while I'm out there. I have a 30' boat and it like it's gas.
    The mouth of Double Bay just looks a little more closed than the front of Shelter Bay. I'll have to check the tide tables then. The satilite view of Shelter Bay looked pretty dry when the water was out. How deep in the creek running in and out. I have a 60 on the Lund with a prop. I guess I'll order good weather and no wind. Thanks Again

The channel back into Shelter Bay is 2 to 3 feet deep in the channel, the problem is there is a very narrow spot that has some large rocks, and it gets shallow there as well. High tide is no problem. The Bay gets very shallow during low tide. Plus it is very exposed to the prevailing winds.

I know of an awesome spot for Halibut near there. PM me for the details.

Have a great trip.

Supporting Member

I'm looking at the same trip this summer. I've been to Double Bay but not Shelter. It seems like they have poor placement on some of their forest service cabins in that area.

How did towing the Lund work out. I have the same set up and have thought about using it for a hunting trip.