Thread: Hunting in style (Alpine Creek Lodge - thumbs up!)

Thumbs up Hunting in style (Alpine Creek Lodge - thumbs up!)

I spent the weekend out on the Denali Highway hoping to find a bear to chase. I found three bears, but unfortunately they consisted of a sow and two cubs. It was a beautiful weekend, though. Very sunny, a couple hundred caribou and just as many ptarmigan to keep me company, and some great new terrain to explore.

I stayed with Claude, Jennifer, and their family at Alpine Creek Lodge instead of tenting it this time around. I've never been the lodge kind of guy, but man...that was nice! Instead of waking to frozen boots and a fuel canister in my sleeping bag, I woke to hot coffee and fresh eggs instead. It made me feel a little soft, but once in a while that's OK. (At least, that's what I'm telling myself, as I'm planning to go back again.)

Good folks, comfortable place, and awesome country in all directions. Motorized access on the south side of the highway, seasonal non-motorized area on the north. Perfect.

Hi Brian,
    Do they have a place to land an airplane?
    Thanks
    Jeff

Careful Brian you don't want to get to soft. Its to late for me, but not my for my hero. More stories about 10 mile hikes and packing caribou for miles.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Brian, how are the snow conditions? Is it still possible to ride a sled into the mountains to look for bears?

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Careful Brian you don't want to get to soft. Its to late for me, but not my for my hero. More stories about 10 mile hikes and packing caribou for miles.
    Ha! Yeah, I'd better watch myself or I might lose my mystique.

Does it help that my next planned hunt is via packraft for black bears?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Brian, how are the snow conditions? Is it still possible to ride a sled into the mountains to look for bears?
    Good enough in the morning, soft in the afternoon. Where I was there wasn't more than a foot - maybe two - of snow in the deepest places. If you got stuck, you wouldn't get buried too deeply. At some points you'd be more likely to be riding across tundra. Still a little too deep for ATVs, though.

OK, appreciate the report, i'll leave the sled in the garage. Might be time to toughen up and do some walking....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    OK, appreciate the report, i'll leave the sled in the garage. Might be time to toughen up and do some walking....
    Might not hurt to throw it in the back of the truck just in case. I didn't go much past the Susitna Bridge, but it looked like the area towards Paxson had more snow.

Default Brain's stay and landing strip...

We enjoyed having Brian stay with us! Great to meet the man behind the forum's! I know he was feeling soft, but on the second morning he took off hiking to the top of the mountains behind the lodge to even things out. We had a couple of other fellow's from the forums staying with us also, and the evening bs'ing was enjoyable.

Jeff, there is an airstrip you can use about 9 miles down at the Susitna Lodge. We know the owners and they said it was okay for us to use. It's a good strip. Some folks land on the highway by the lodge, but that appears to be a little challenging. There is also the Clearwater Airstrip just a couple of miles away, but it hasn't been used in years and has too much brush. I'm working with the agencies to get permision to open that one back up. If you do fly up, just buzz the lodge and we'll come down and pick you up.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default I'm Shocked

Here all along I thought it was just us miserable non-residents who would sink to staying in a lodge.

Good going Brian - keep up the good work but don't get too soft.