Thread: synthetic stocks, which one?

Default synthetic stocks, which one?

I've been looking for a synthetic stock for my remington m-700 8mm rem mag. My question is in your guys opinion, which of the after market stocks is best for say around 300-350 bucks max?
    I would like one with around a 13.75-14.00 length of pull if possible. It also needs to work with iron sites or a scope. Do I need/want the full length bedding block or will the standard pillar bedded models work. This rifle will only be used as a hunting rifle. But with that being said I would still like to make it as accurate as I can (reasonably). What other features do I need to look into?
    I know I don't like the way the factory rem stocks fit me, and I've got a weatherby mk 5 That Fits very nice. What about a laminate stock can they be had for around the same price?
    And lastly (real word?) Are these stock's I'm lookin' at really all perfect drop in's or will there be smith' work in my future?

THANKS, CZ

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Stay way from the Boyd's laminates if you want a drop in fit. The ones I have had go over my bench had huge spaces around the action, enough so that it would walk around in the stock no matter how tight the action screws were. I have a HS that is very nice(with the AL bedding block), I also have a Bell and Carlson that doesn't have the bedding bock that is pretty nice (tan web). Both are on M700's.

HTH

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

McMillan or H-S Prescision

I've bought a couple of Bell & Carlsons. One was problematic with fitting (my fault not knowing my gun model correctly) and B&C's customer service people were fantastic. I had bought it through a catalog company and still the customer service folks at the factory held my hand and walked the return and replacement right through. Very impressive. I've bought one Hogue, too, and won't do that again. The quality isn't there. Maybe B&C set the bar too high.

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

I forgot the McMillan. I have one on an M14 NM. Very nice but absolutely NOT drop in.

During the bedding process I discovered several voids in the McMillan. No real big problem as they all got filled with compound.

Mike

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

CZ:
    Why don'cha try a Hogue? I've never owned one myself, but I like the ones I've seen.

Hopefully, they're making them better nowadays, but I got a B&C years ago, that was so bad the holes didn't even line up. I was unable to get a response to my email to them. It made me mad, because I could barely afford a new stock back then.

Then I took it to a gunsmith to fix and glass bed it. (Good money after bad) I wasn't thrilled with the job, and I don't even use it today. If I did, I'd hafta get it worked on my a knowledgable stock man. I wouldn't buy a B&C now if they made the best stocks in the world. (Fat chance of that)
    Smitty of the North

Default HS precision

I've bought three of them now. 2 for rugers and one for LA Rem's and all of them have been drop in perfect. Worth the money.

The latest McMillans (at least for me) have been drop in's. Inletting is as close to perfect as I ever seen. Great stocks but pricey. Expect to pay $400 on up to $500 for the Edge models. They are built to your specs as far as colors, lop, etc but expect a 5-6 month waiting time.
    They are what I recommend. For the best prices contact Rick Bin over at the 24hour Campground forums.
    Tennessee

I own several McMillans and I'm really happy with them. If you go to their web page they have "web specials" that can be had for less than $400. Otherwise, like was mentioned above, Rick Bin @ 24hr campfire is the place. They are worth the money IMHO.