Thread: Fairbanks Area Trips?

Default Fairbanks Area Trips?

I am new to the area and looking for some Fairbanks area day or weekend trips within a reasonable distance. Any suggestions?

I never canoe'd up that way, but the Chena river seems to be quite popular with folks up there.

Delta Clearwater!

Default canoe

if you get a squair back with a lift an motor there is a lot more water to cover up in Fairbanks Alaska

You have the Chena, upper & middle Chatanika (lower if you get a shuttle to behind murphy dome), Delta Clearwater, Tangle Lakes, Gulkana, Tanana to Nenana, etc...

There's options depending on your skill level and how long you want to be out.

HTH

Bill

Default ProMusic to the Pump House

It's a very easy stretch that goes right through Fairbanks. Usually takes 4-5 hours when my wife and I go. We just float it, as in paddling only to keep us headed straight down river and adjusting for any motor boats we meet. If you paddled it, it would take a lot less time.
    There are several places to pull out and eat a picnic. You can also pull out and walk around pioneer park.
    We always start in the early afternoon and always end up at the Pump House around dinner time.

It's not wilderness canoeing but it is a nice way to get through FBX. It's also a nice quickie to keep in your back pocket incase you ever just get the itch to go and can't go to far.
    Everyone should float through their city at least once.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skagdog View Post
    It's a very easy stretch that goes right through Fairbanks. Usually takes 4-5 hours when my wife and I go. We just float it, as in paddling only to keep us headed straight down river and adjusting for any motor boats we meet. If you paddled it, it would take a lot less time.
    There are several places to pull out and eat a picnic. You can also pull out and walk around pioneer park.
    We always start in the early afternoon and always end up at the Pump House around dinner time.

It's not wilderness canoeing but it is a nice way to get through FBX. It's also a nice quickie to keep in your back pocket incase you ever just get the itch to go and can't go to far.
    Everyone should float through their city at least once.
    we float that one a few times a summer also... a nice easy ride with the kids... gives a new perspective of town thats for sure.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the good ideas. We recently purchased a Bell Morningstar, mostly because it looked like a good option for a tandem, yet could be paddled solo as well.

For those of you with experience on the Clearwater River, how much experience is needed to do the trip from the state campground, down the Clearwater, then up the creek to the take out at Clearwater Lake. MY wife and I have lake and slow river canoed for several years. We are thinking of doing the trip next weekend.

IF you like wilderness paddling without being way out away you can go from the nordale road launch to pro music it goes through ft wainwright and is mostly woodsy until you get to the begining of town which is where pro music is