Thread: Kupreanof Peninsula Brown Bear

Default Kupreanof Peninsula Brown Bear

I was drawn for DB256 for the spring of 2011. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good transporter out of Kodiak or Port Lions. I can do a float plane, but I'd rather have a boat based transporter. If anybody has any experience or wisdom to share about that area, I'd appreciate it.

Default Air transport

Seahawk air or Andrews airways, used them for goats on kodiak.....both services are right next to each other.

Default Lucky...

You got My Tag... Andrew airways is the only way to go. START YOUR WORKOUT NOW!
    The mountains there are straight up. No matter how good of shape your in you should have spent more time on the Stair stepper.
    That's the main thing that's gonna dictate how successful you are in your hunt.
    Harded hunt than sheep. Not gonna say good luck, just have fun and be careful.

Thanks dirtysouth.

Try Marvin at Nelson's Alutiq Charters. He is in Port Lions and a great guy. I used to fish with him before he moved to Port Lions.

ph: 907-454-3915

I'm using Seahawk Air. I drew the same permit last year and will be hunting on Sunday. I'll post more when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Heed View Post
    I'm using Seahawk Air. I drew the same permit last year and will be hunting on Sunday. I'll post more when I return.
    Cool.. I'll be waiting for that report.

Default No bear!

We are back...hunted the area west of the Kupreanof Mountain. Seemed like a good area, but the bears are coming out late this year. We heard a bear growl on day 1, heard a bear on day 2, saw a bear track in the muck on day 3 with fresh scat. Day 4-7 did not bring any additional signs. Saw tracks on the Kupreanof Mountain, but looked as if the bear went over the other side.

BL: Very few bears were out in that area. I'd recommend going later in the hunt season. Very weird winter according to everyone I spoke with.

I decided to stay out of the Afognak Native Corporation land (pretty large portion of the Kupreanof peninsula). Not sure if the outcome would've been different, but didn't see any signs of bear activity as we flew out of the hunt site.

We started on the northwest portion of the pen and it seemed to work to our advantage with wind direction. The terain was tough and can't imagine hunting that area when all the foilage is grown up.

We used Seahawk Air for transport. Rolan is awesome. We were wind delayed getting to the hunt site, but picked up on time. Temperatures were decent and the weather was great. Used the AHMS to transport my truck / gear to Kodiak....good idea depending on the amount of gear you have and slightly cheaper than Alaskan Airlines. We rented a bear fence from Kodiak Kamps...definitely would get a Zodiac next time to go around the pen if I were to hunt that area again.

Let me know if you have any questions. I wish you better luck next spring!

Default Hope to be running Hunters soon

270ti, I'm hoping to get it all together to be doing some Hunt Transporting this year, certainly by Spring 2011 but have a lot to figure out yet so it is a tentative thing you could stick in your back pocket for planning,

here's a link to a hunt story I did that has pics of the boat i'll be using

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=73527

and I would add that the Kup Penin would be pretty inexpensive by boat as is just a short run from town, low fuel bill, etc. and if planes weren't flying the boat could do that drop in about any weather, easy to get there from Kdk

I'll try to remember to track you down when I get it together but if you need to make long range plans I won't have it all together for a while yet, stuff like insurance details and stuff like that, fairly complicated I guess
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I used sea hawk air last year for a goat hunt, very happy with the service.