Thread: Re-Painting a Volvo/San Juan Heat Exchanger?

Default Re-Painting a Volvo/San Juan Heat Exchanger?

My 24-foot Bayliner Trophy is powered by a 5.7 Volvo. We discovered I had a leaking u-joint bellows on the outdrive and had saltwater damage to the u-joints and outdrive. Those pieces are almost all back together but we needed to pull the engine to check and ultimately replace the seals and bearings on out-put shaft coming out of the bell housing on the back of the engine. With the engine on a stand I am taking advantage of this opportunity to remove rust and re-paint everything that needs attention.

Like just about all Bayliner Volvos - this engine has a "San Juan Engineering" heat exchanger on the fresh water cooling system. The paint surface was pretty sketchy and it needs to be re-painted so now that I have he existing paint removed I see that it is made of brass and I have no experience painting brass. What is necessary for priming brass so a high gloss enamel will stick? I plan to also check with the local mechanics but have found that a lot of them have never actually done paint restoration work on marine engines or their components. They can swap-out broken or worn-out parts just fine with new but leave painting to the owners.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

What was the paint like that you took off? Could a spray paint primer work and then spray paint? Mine looks like it has the same paint job as a truck radiator, how about asking a radiator shop what they think? Water, hot water, etc, radiator???

I recommend a product called aluthane, it aluminum flakes suspended in a incredibly tough polyurethane paint. Its good to several hundred degrees.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Thanks for the answers. From the guys I have spoken to with engine restoration experience - the main thing is to get the base metal as clean as possible with an acid bath and put on a good metal primer. After that a good high-temp engine enamel will do the trick. No big deal unless you haven't done it before. As long as I have it apart I will replace the aluminum end caps and their isolating gaskets and add a new zinc stick and it should be as good as new.