Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My A. Hollis 500/450NE

Default My A. Hollis 500/450NE

She's an A. Hollis best quality extractor with manual safety in 500/450 3.25" NE. Made in 1906 by Leonard of Jefferies rifle fame. She has claw mounts, a flip up ivory night sight, an express sight, two folding leaves, and a ramp sight out to an optimistic 1000 yards! Here's some pictures of the gun and a target from today!
    Me with my baby:

480 grain soft Woodleighs at 2050fps:

Very top is R1. Far left is L1. Bottom of three is R2. Middle of three is L2. This is a 1.5" group from a standing rest at 50 yards. 102.5 grains of IMR 4831.
    Brett

Default Beautiful Rifle.

Now you will have to buy To Far Western Alaska by T.R. Hubback. I am sure it will cost much less then your new "family" member. Hubback hunted sheep and brown bear with Andy Simon with a Hollis 500/450. Wouldn't be interesting if by coincidence you might have the same gun?

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Thomas,

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into the book.

Brett

It makes me ill looking at what was available then and knowing nothing comes remotely close in what is made today.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    It makes me ill looking at what was available then and knowing nothing comes remotely close in what is made today.

Sooooooooooooooooo True!

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

It looks like you've got it dialed in! Cool!!

In an ironic twist of fate,, Last week end we looked Brett's Hollis over with mine next to it.. Both are 1906 500/450 NE rifles by Lenord, sold by Hollis and together again 104 years later. And 3 serial numbers apart!
    Where have they been and what have they done in the last 104 yrs.

For a cup and core hunting bullet, Woodleight has never ceased to amaze me for it's accuracy. The rule seems to be, if the rifle is accurate then these bullets will show it. Seems to be true for all calibers they make.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I used to shoot a couple Isac Hollis & Sons hammer guns. Hollis made from plain to best in the gun lines and had a Royal Seal. When he merged with Bently and Playfair I feel they built to many guns and did better again when he went back on his own hook. Birmingham Makers built some great stuff and a lot of it ended up with a London makers name on it 3X the price

Will, These are "A Hollis" rifles built by Lenord, The "I Hollis" rifles were generally a lower grade built by the tradesmen of Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    There are still some superb rifle makers left today, but the level of craftsmanship, style, and feel are very hard to find in this day and age for sure!!! For my money if I didn't buy a vintage prewar double Westley Richards makes them about as well as they can be made today! I picked up the current issue of Double Gun Journal and it has a wonderful article on Westley Richards! My dream double is a pre war Westley Richards in 600NE. It may be next on the list........eventually............IF I can ever find one for sale!!! For the mean time I need to do more hunting and less gun purchasing!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    Will, These are "A Hollis" rifles built by Lenord, The "I Hollis" rifles were generally a lower grade built by the tradesmen of Birmingham.
    In the 1900s-1930s Leonard built all the Jefferies and A. Hollis double rifles. Jefferies from this era are considered by many to be some of the best built doubles period! Consiquently with the same maker they are vertually identical and of the same quality!!!

Brett

Brett,
    From the looks of the target you sure have her dialed in.
    102 grains of IMR 4831. Did you chrono the load? You may be edging 2,100 fps. Wished I could of joined you guys for the load work but I was stuck home. But I did manage to sneak in buying another double myself today, Valmet 30-06, it should be here in about 10 days.
    Tennessee

Good deal. It chornographed at 2050fps.

Brett

Issac Hollis was A Hollis brother or cousin I don't remember at this time. Issac built guns for the trade and stood very will on his own hook haveing a Royal Seal and sales shop in London.His guns were marked London & Birmingham.If one looks he can fine I.Hollis&Sons best shotguns for $10,000 and trade guns for $250.00 today. Bretts gun is very nice indeed with wonderfull grain through the wrist as a DR should

It all depends on what we are talking about. For me the guns put out by Purdy are the be all and end all in Shotguns but I do remember this French makers that ran a real tight race with them, I have seen some really nice doubles built by Holland and Holland, and a number of other top British makers that would make any one proud to own one.

Both the new Purdey and Holland double rifles are "over the top" for the most part. I really believe Westley Richards is the best of top quality and craftsmanship in a functional not "over the top" rifle. I've handled new rifles from all three makers and that's just how I feel. Plus the Hollands and Purdeys are WAY over priced due to the name.

Brett

It seems that Alaska has more of the fine rifles than any other place I've ever seen. I wonder what it is about this place that seems to be such a magnet for these fine guns? And it has been this way for many decades. No other State seems even close.

Yes I have seen many fine Westley Richards fine double rifles here in Alaska. I refuse to call them any thing but what they are. But that does not mean that nothing else is out there. I've seen lots of other nice built rifles and shotguns that makes the old heart do a little skipping a beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast