Thread: 40 HP on a 14 ft. Jon

Default 40 HP on a 14 ft. Jon

Hey guys, My friend is thinking about putting a 60/40 Yamaha Jet on a 14/40 jon boat! Do you think this is to much motor for it! Hes getting a good deal on the motor!

Thanks...Brian

What is the boat rated for? That might answer your own question. It sounds aft heavy to me, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a 14' jon that can't handle a 15 2-stroke. It isn't the first 14 footer I've had. The last one was overpowered with the 15, too. A 60hp 4-stroke powerhead will probably sink that 14' boat before he gets it off the trailer.

since you said 14/40 i dont know of any riveted boats that fit that size. so it might be a custom heavy welded boat and the motor might be fine for that boat. but every newer boat is rated for a max horsepower. so that will tell.

If it is a riveted boat like my 14 foot hewescraft that is rated for 20 hp, 40 hp is probably going to be too much. It is not going to sink off the trailer or anything, but you probably will break your transom at some point. Or maybe not....hard to tell actually. Chances are, if it is going to break anywhere, it will break on that bumpy road down to the Little Su just from all the shaking and additional weight. Then again, if it is a welded jon rated for the hp, it could be a lot of fun without the worry. The length of the boat and the rated horsepower are related, however 60 hp really isn't that much for a boat in that size range; I have a 15.5 foot bayliner in Spokane with a 135 hp Evinrude on it (max rating is 150) that holds that big (and very heavy) 4 cylinder just fine. It is great for skiing and fishing. And gets up and goes very nicely if needed.....

Default I have a 14' Monark jon boat

It came with a 35 hp Johnson. I never used it with that motor (which needed a new lower unit) because it seemed WAAAAY too heavy for the light hull. I run it with a 9.9 and it does OK. I would think a 25 would be max for a light 14' jon.

Default Motor Size

I have seen people open up a motor on a boat that was too small for it and it swamped the back of the boat. Check the plate on the back of the boat for weight and hp rating. I would stay close up here.

Another thing to consider is how low the stern sits in the water with the motor on.

If you dont have much freeboard then you stand a chance of taking your own wake over the stern when you come off step.

IMO it is too much.

Are you talking about the F40 jet that puts out 30 HP at the pump? If so, It mat be a little heavy at 200#, I'm putting one on my 1648 MV Jon. If you are talking about a 60 hp head that puts out 40 hp at the pump I'd say it's probably a bunch too heavy. How much does the motor weigh? What's the boats load capacity? Is it a center console or tillar i.e. will he be adding his weight to the motor weight at the back of the boat? A few things I've learned (recently) that must be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    My friend is thinking about putting a 60/40 Yamaha Jet on a 14/40 jon boat!
    Too heavy. That hull is probably rated for 20hp.

My 14' G-III is rated for 10hp. It has a 40" bottom. With a 15 on it I have to put sand bags up front to keep the bow down and out of the wind. When the bow's up any little gust will turn the boat faster than you can counter it with the tiller. We call it the coffin boat. That name suits it.