Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic weight of on the bone moose meat

Default Realistic weight of on the bone moose meat

I have packed out a few moose, but never actually weighed the meat. I have always estimated the weight of a whole moose at roughly 650 pounds, based on common kowledge, but have never put it all on a scale.

Anyone here ever actualy scale one?

What is the weight of ALL salvagable/edible meat and 4 quarters, on the bone, of an entire mature 50+ bull moose weigh?

The last one I weighed was as follows.

rear quarters= 125lbs each.
    front quarters= 110lbs each.
    One full bag of trimmings, which included all rib meat, neck, brisket and any other loose cut meat.= 120lbs
    I only cut the meat off the rib bones, not required to leave on the bone in the GMU I hunt.

One small bag with the backstraps and tenders. Did not weigh that bag as it kept getting lighter each day around dinner time...

That equals 590lbs without the backstraps and tenders.

Antlers 50lbs or so, cape add another 75 or so.

Steve

Default wieght

I have weighted a few when we get a pilot that is in a bad mood or I am using horses. This was done with a horse packing scale. Most come in between 6 and 7 hundred pounds the moose Im talking about are right on the BC/Yukon border so are classified as YT/AK moose but are really Canadian moose, the ones in the high country are for sure bigger.

Default weight

i have never weighed one up personally but in the reg book on page 31 there is a weight chart
    it has for moose....live weight 1650
    carcass weight(no guts head, hide, lower legs) 990
    boned out carcass(meat only) 564

these are probably the numbers that troopers will use

i would say that what you actually pack out if you left the bone on would be still pretty close to the 990.....all you would really be leaving behind then would be the spinal column and the pelvis...maybe the rib bones...so i would say that would put it back closer to 900....but that will all vary too with size of animal but i'm guessing that mature 50+ bull will be around there some where
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thanks Steve. Roughly how big of bull are ya talking though, 40" ish or bigger?

Thanks Shark, seems high tho. I saw that in the regs too, weird.

Admitadly though, the last few moose did SEEM like all of that on my back, LOL
    Last edited by 379 Peterbilt; 04-25-2010 at 18:18. Reason: tie poz

the size and weight of a moose will vary greatly, factors of this are : location, diet, time of year, genetics and sex/age. theres no right or wrong answer to your inquiry.

based on my experience, the usual 4-6 year old bull moose taken just prior to the rut when they are fattest( early august) in the pt.mackenzie area ( where i have taken 3 of my moose) have been 450-550 lbs boned out. I harvested a 2 year old sporkenhorn on the denali highway 2 years back that when all boned out and weighed at the butchers prior to grinding it up read 290....that was all 4 quarters, the neck, the rump, and brisket meat boned out and sacked, no tenders or straps or ribs cuz we kept those for steaks.

Release Lake Trout

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Tturned one into the butcher several years ago bone in and the total weight was 867 pounds. Father-in law passed away in 1992 and I had a complete neck from just behind the head/neck joint to the spine that we were taking to the village for the funeral. That piece alone weighed 92 pounds. I figure a rear quarter as from 100 to 150 pounds depending on just how big of a Moose it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    Thanks Steve. Roughly how big of bull are ya talking though, 40" ish or bigger?
    He was 50.

This is him and that weight was after 8 days. Killed on a float hunt.

Steve

Again thanks Steve. Just what I was looking for, info wise. Nice bull btw and I love those long brow tines. The moon in the background really adds to the image.

Talking Moose weight

Last Oct I done a fly in hunt across the inlet. Got a 62" and because of where it was at I boned the whole thing out so it was packable to the lake. Plane picked us up after 12 day hunt, moose killed on day 9. Took 16 pack board trips to get the meat to lake. Had to call the plane and have him come in a day later than planed as it took that long to get the moose out. Took the meat to McNell Canyon Meats and their scales totaled 727 lbs of meat. Most work, best hunt I was ever on and hope to do it again.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

400 to 550 boned out at the butcher for a mature bull. The 16B bull we shot last year was 57" and was 400 boned out. The 48" from unit 20 was 500 boned out. Don't know why the difference.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

like ive already said, there are many factors that determine the weight of a moose.....also the farther north you go it seems like they get alittle bigger, but also stress, predation and environment can play a role too. could be even that farther north or in certain areas, the rut starts sooner, and they lose weight...

Release Lake Trout

Default high

i thought it seemed high too....i was just going with what the state was saying...remember you can always trust your government....any way you cut it there is alot of weight to carry with a moose on the ground...even with blue thunder's 727 pounds of boned out meat...that had to be one huuuge moose...i couldn't imagine there being two hundred pounds of leg bones...no way
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default a few years ago

when I still lived in PA, I took the meat home from a bull I killed up here. I shipped 9 boxes (at an average weight of just over 70 - 74 lbs) & had a total weight of boned meat of just under 650#.
    I took the meat to a local butcher and he told me that judging from the size of the various cuts of meat, he'd equate the live weight (of the moose) to be equal to a 1400-1450 lb steer.
    I guess you're trying to figure how much you can legally haul back this fall? Good luck. It will be interesting to see how your little venture pans out.
    Gary

Default 900 is probably close

It all stays on the bone except the tongue, heart and liver. With a 4 browtine or 50" quartered moose (literally - 4 quarters), based on the processors scales, I guestimate we bring out 850-1000lbs/moose (NOTE: not all quarters are taken to a processor, thus the guestimate).
    v/r
    salchastar road

Why not call Indian Valley Meats or someone similar and get actual data. If anyone would know it would be them.

Default 895 pounds

First moose I shot was 895 pounds bone in at the processor. I shot it in a lake by myself and struggled for about 8 hours getting it cut up and bagged in the canoe. It was a 50" bull but had a huge body. Everyone should do this once makes you much more selective in where you shoot a moose.

...I am pretty anal about bringing out every bit of meat possible...

-On this one bull hubby harvested-(56"er...and he was a very old one...so, not sure if this meant he was larger or smaller in average meat weight for a bull in that category):
    -In addition to the shoulder and hind quarters; the backstrap and tenderloin; the ribs and the brisket meat; and the heart, liver and toungue.... I managed to also salvage EIGHTY POUNDS of NECK MEAT alone....
    (hubby and cousins standing around tapping their hip waders and rolling their eyes..."ok, Kathleen...we've gotta GO now...lots of loads accross the river ahead of us)-lol-

-and I later hiked back in and packed out the entire hide....never going to do THAT again....-that weighed more than the pack of neck meat...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    He was 50.

This is him and that weight was after 8 days. Killed on a float hunt.

Steve

...nice moose, Steve!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast