Thread: Barrows Goldeye

Default Barrows Goldeye

I was at Potters Marsh today for a walk when I noticed a hen and drake Barrows Goldeneye. I did not know they would be in Potters marsh. I thought they would be more found in Homer and Whitter area. Did see a beatiful Drake Widgeon.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default golden eye

they are all over lakes,rivers more so than potholes but right now they are sitting wherever there is open water.

Thumbs up scoter

There was a surf scoter sitting in there on Saturday when I drove by.

I'm still new to this learning which ducks is located where.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default divers nest where??

i know it sounds wierd but a lot of divers(scoters, goldeneye) nest in boreal forests. right now they are pairing up and mating. saw lots of harlis in the wrangell narrows playing boy chase girl we see them around now but in not too long they will go to the trees to do there thing. harlequins nest up creeks and small rivers. there is some fascinating info on the net about the migration of where these guys go. if you google scoter study or sea duck migration you're bound to come across some studies that have been done throughout alaska. i can try and find the website. and post it later. I know there is a link to it from the aleutian alaska waterfowlers website under other links.

was looking for trout at chester creek last weekend and was treated to quite a battle between 2 drake mallards over a hen....its always fun to watch

Release Lake Trout

I saw some Barrow Goldeneyes and Buffleheads Sunday morning in the Westchester Lagoon area off Spenard Road.

Thumbs up upper kenai float

Its a great time to float the upper kenai, you will see loads of harlis, & mergansers, with a few others mixed in.

Also in the winter I use to see a pair of golden eyes spend a lot of time at univ. lake, on the open spot. This was the first one they weren't there.