Thread: Speaking of sea otters

Default Speaking of sea otters

I have an Aleut fisherman friend who's getting tired of hauling crab pots and has been harvesting sea otters for a couple years. I've been helping him with the sewing, making hats, mittens, moccassins etc. Anyway, he is looking for a tannery within the state that does a good job, fair price and decent turn-around time. Any recommendations?

Default alpha fur dresser

i got mine tanned there and they did a great job. the turn around time was about three weeks and they charged a decent price. i am definitley going to them from now on.

Thanks! I'll give 'em a call tommorrow.

I know there is a place in Sitka run by a native corp (maybe), that does alot of marine mammals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait 1 View Post
    I know there is a place in Sitka run by a native corp (maybe), that does alot of marine mammals.

We've been sending our hides to Sitka but they're so busy, have a 6 month turnaround! I contacted Gary at Alpha Fur, sounds like they have a good price and only 3-4 week turn-around. Am sending them up there later this week. Thanks for the help! Here's my first sofa blanket. I gotta tell you, although there's some weight to the blanket by the time I put the lining on, when you lay under it, fur against you - it's just like a soft warm cloud, it literally floats. Never too warm, never too cool - it's amazing stuff!

Default Great thread arcticfox

After being in PWS this past weekend my 9 year-old is dying to take a seal! He loves to eat seal oil and meat with his mom, and she, of course, uses the skin for crafts. Unfortunately, he will have to learn boat handling and work on his marksmanship before I'll allow him to try. Last night was the first time I didn't have to drag him to the range to shoot. Now he is inspired!

Default That blanket is awesome!!

I was wondering how many did it take to make a blanket that size? I have never seen something like that. Now im inspired....

Beautiful work Gramma! Wow!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    I was wondering how many did it take to make a blanket that size? I have never seen something like that. Now im inspired....
    They are really nice big hides. It took only 3 to make the sofa blanket with plenty of scraps left over for trim & small items. I rolled the tanned hides in damp towels then stretched them really tight before sewing.

Thanks Huntress! That was my first sea otter project. I've worked with mink, beaver, wolf & marten but only for personal clothing & presents. I was really nervous to start cutting on someone elses hides. Besides, they looked really cool hanging over the loft railing.

Well, Christmas is coming! Want to adopt me? My mom always said when I stopped believing in Santa he would no longer bring presents....Well....I STILL BELIEVE!!!

You do have a beautiful set up though! I have a hat coming my way from my native friend who I finally harped enough to make me one.. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Gramma, I love the fur in your home! The pictures are fantastic!

Oh goody for you Huntress! You're going to love that hat. My first exposure to sea otter was several years ago when a friend from up north sent a hat for me. I just LOVE it when it's cold enough to wear it. I sure wish I had nothing to do but sew. So many things I want to make but spring has exploded, herbs & medicine plants ready to harvest, garden needs planting, fish are jumping and I've got seven teenage grandkids coming to GrammasCabin soon's school is out. They take turns but I think they'll all be here at one point so I've got lots of baking ahead to do, uffda! I had four of them last summer and that was busy enough! Hope we have a good warm summer like last year. Sure, I'll adopt you, I could use the help!!!

Thank you Kusko. I do have a lot of dead things hanging around, don't I.

Gramma, In the other post about sea otter you say" I am a white girl" If you are for you to be sewing with sea otter or helping in the manufacture of something made from sea otter even if all you do is put the liner on the back of the blanket is against federal law. I would have sent this through a pm but you do not allow pm's
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Gramma, In the other post about sea otter you say" I am a white girl" If you are for you to be sewing with sea otter or helping in the manufacture of something made from sea otter even if all you do is put the liner on the back of the blanket is against federal law. I would have sent this through a pm but you do not allow pm's
    I am not sure if your statement is true. PWSCC college over here has sewing classes all the time. Participants sew otter hats, parts have seal fur and other hides. The class has a fee, so the participants are paying for the hides to say also. We may be in a gray area here.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Even ADFG women in the outdoors or whatever its called. Has a fur sewing class? IDK??

Dave you may be right in it is a gray area but the way the feds here explained it to my wife is only she and only her native students can use sea otter, seal, ivory and polar bear. Interesting to hear what PWSCC is doing my wife got her first degree from there I sure was glad when we got away from all the snow that place dumps down in a winter

Ok there seems to be much discussion on this so I got on line and did a bunch of research on it and here is the end result from off the USFWS web site fax sheet.
    How do we define "Alaskan Native" for these Q&As?
    A complete definition of “Alaskan Native” for the purposes of the Marine Mammal Protection Act is found in the Code of Federal Regulations (50 CFR 18.3) In general, when we use the term “Alaskan Native” in these Q&As, we mean Indians, Aleuts and Eskimos who reside in Alaska and who dwell on the coast of the north Pacific Ocean or Arctic Ocean. The definition includes those who are one-fourth degree or more Alaskan Indian, Aleut or Eskimo, or who are enrolled under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
    Who may hunt sea otters, polar bears or walrus?
    Alaskan Natives, as defined above, may harvest sea otters, polar bears or walrus for subsistence purposes or the creation and sale of authentic native handicrafts or clothing if the harvest is not wasteful. It is illegal for a person who is not an Alaskan Native to actively participate in any manner in hunting sea otters, polar bears or walrus.
    WHAT MAY BE SOLD AS A NATIVE HANDICRAFT?
    Authentic Native handicrafts may be sold to a non-Native. This means items composed of a significantly altered pelt that is wholly or in some significant respect made of natural materials and produced, decorated, or fashioned in the exercise of traditional handicrafts without the use of pantographs, multiple carvers, or other mass copying devices. Traditional handicrafts include, but are not limited to weaving, carving, stitching, sewing, lacing, beading, drawing and painting.

ARE THERE OTHER LEGAL USES OF SEA OTTERS?
    Yes. The meat or other edible parts from sea otters may be sold if it is sold in an Alaska Native village or is sold to an Alaskan Native.
    MAY RAW (TANNED OR UNTANNED) HIDES BE SOLD OR TRANSFERRED?
    Yes, but only to an Alaska Native within Alaska or to a registered agent for resale or transfer to an Alaskan Native within Alaska. It is illegal to give as a gift, trade, or sell either tanned or untanned hides to non-Natives.
    And more info from the NOAA web site answer and question section
    I live in a remote subsistence village in Alaska. I am non-Native. Can I participate in marine mammal hunting?
    No, unless you are regarded as a member of an Alaska Native village or group, and your father or mother were also regarded as a member of that village or group. Marriage to an Alaska Native does not convey the right to harvest marine mammals under the Native exemption to these Acts.

I am still trying to find the specific rules on sewing and working with a hide but if you can't own it, can't harvest it, can't buy it, and a native can't give to you as a gift I find it hard to find a way that you could sew with it when only a native can. My wife is native I am not I can't even take my boys out seal hunting they had to learn how from other family members. Furthermore we own a fur sewing business it is how all my trapping furs get sold we have the furs tanned and then make it into hats mittens ruffs slippers etc. and when questioning USF&W we were told I could not help her in any manner. Since my main income is dependant on the fur bussiness we don't run the risk, I don't help her with the seal and sea otter stuff she makes. She also organizes classes for the local UAF campus and has been told only native students can use real ivory or seal and sea otter in the carving and skin sewing classes. How PWSCC gets around this I do not know but you can bet she is going to be checking with them to find out if they have some kind of educational exemption that she could obtain as well.
    I know someone is going to jump up and say it doesn't list seals the rules are the same for these questions just on a different sheet. I didn't want to waste a lot of time making you all read it all over again.