Thread: ATVs allowed on Eklutna Lk. Trail.....what about dual sport(street legal)bikes??

Default ATVs allowed on Eklutna Lk. Trail.....what about dual sport(street legal)bikes??

I'm not exactly sure so it doesnt hurt to ask. I think It would be a great trip to head up there on my KLR 650, have lunch towards the end of the trail..........and commute back to Anchorage. I'm really hoping that is possible.

Motorcycles are prohibited. Not sure why.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/eklutrls.htm
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Motorcycles are prohibited. Not sure why.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/eklutrls.htm

thanks Dee, I wasnt too sure about the definition of "ATV" due to the fact that my KLR can hit the dirt or the road. I'm bummed. I truely thought it would be a scenic, affordable, and great trip. Maybe this would be something that could be brought up to the folks who make the rules. I know they allow ATVs on sundays......but what is the difference with allowing a dual sport rider to hit the dirt and enjoy a scenic trip too?? It really doesnt seem fair if you think about it.

Mainer-

I completely agree. I don't know what their reasoning could possibly be to allow ATV's but not motorcycles. Just bureaucratic BS probably. Sort of like allowing cars and trucks but not ATV's to access that road in Hope.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I think the bikes have a smaller contact patch and have a tendency to tear up the ground more. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster View Post
    I think the bikes have a smaller contact patch and have a tendency to tear up the ground more. Oh well.
    Partially right I would bet. I am sure the real reason is that they fit through all of the barricades set up to keep ATV's out but let hikers through.

No one could ride a motorcycle at that ridiculous 15mph speed limit, or whatever it is. On a wheeler if you fall asleep you won't tip over you'll just bump into something. I'm not complaining mind you...

Does anybody know if the Eklutna trail is open yet - i.e. free of snow? Was hoping to take my daughter up there as soon as possible for a day trip and lunch to the end.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Does anybody know if the Eklutna trail is open yet - i.e. free of snow? Was hoping to take my daughter up there as soon as possible for a day trip and lunch to the end.
    no....my son and I were up there two nights ago and everything was still pretty well plugged up with soft snow. It still shouldnt stop yah from enjoying the fresh air though. just bring lot's of warm clothes and some warm foot wear.

Default ATV's

are described as having 2 or more driven wheel and a low psi rating (5 psi I think???)

Motorcycles tear up the ground too much do to only having 1 driven wheel, a skinny tire and not enough ground contact. (and yes I do ride both atv and bikes.

Funny enough after asking the Rangers the Rokon qualifies as a atv, 2 driven wheels and the low ground pressure.

The trail has snow on it but it is passable to at least mile 7 (again from the Ranger and a friend that was there last Sunday in his new Polaris Rzr 4)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1