Thread: Big Agnes tents

Default Big Agnes tents

Does anyone have any experience with these tents good or bad?
    I'm looking for a 3-4person tent for float trips and some back-country ATV trips.
    Thanks,
    MJM

A friend of mine used one on a peninsula bear hunt a couple of springs ago. He came back calling it the "big anus", if that tells you anything.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default I've Got Three and All Do the Trick

Big Agnes Big House 4 - Used it last year on a 10-day trip down the Chilikodrotna. It did great; however, wind will be an issue with this tent, so pitch it in strategic locations and stake it down good. Light, lots of room and the optional vestibule is great.

Big Agnes Bug House 3 - Used when going on foot with the wife and dogs. Decent in the wind and rain, and plenty of room for all four of us.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 - Used when going light without the dogs or solo. This is by far the best tent that I own. Very light, easy to pitch, lots of room for an ultralight.

I also own a Kifaru 8-man tipi; however, I only use it when I think that I will need the stove in late fall and in the winter. I have had success with this setup on a hunting trip down the Chilchitna and also on a snow machine trip when the weather hit -20. It's a great setup; however, I really like the ease of setup with the Big Agnes, so I only use it when conditions dictate the need for a stove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default The Copper Spur is My Favorite

It's light, it's versatile, and the fly is big enough and low enough to keep you warm and dry in some tough weather. I have snow camped in it, but I certainly wouldn't call it a four season tent; however, it's really pretty darn good. I am getting some good life out of mine; however, materials are very thin to keep the weight to a minimum, so I always use the footprint for added protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't post the question but thanks for the response Tac. That BA4 might be what I need for me and the boy.

Thumbs up Big Agnes: good for us

but like most gear - no one item fits all purposes.

Some of the best gear guides are on the REI website (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice). Their advice for raingear is the best I've read and their advice on tents, limited to backpacking tents, makes it clear how complicated a tent choice can be - and some kind of prioritization made tent choice simpler for me last year.

Below is our BA Big House 6, which served very well for our needs of roomy, dry shelter for river sleeping. Mike Strahan had some seasoned caution about the steep sidewalls, but again, standup space inside plus ample vestibule space for keeping packs dry, taking off wet gear before entering the tent - was a priority. Prioritization always involves tradeoffs.

This BA tent was well-constructed, made smart to spare weight. Perfect for us and served well in some strong (not severe) winds, but we always pitched it behind a windbreak of some kind, as seen in a previously posted photo (post#70 in this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=10742&page=4). Given the chance to shop all over again, I would buy this same tent for our party of 4, wanting to stand inside, sleep on cots (minimum 8 x 8 ft floor) and expecting plenty of cover along the river (Goodnews R) to get out of the wind. Great tent for these performance criteria. Would not be my first choice for Kodiak (maybe Cabelas Guide, Arc Oven, Barneys Bombshelter, etc for Kodiak).
    Here's another pic of the BA Big House 6, the orange one.

Good luck!

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for all of your responses. Seems like BA makes a solid product. Keep the reviews coming I love reading everyones experiences

Default Big Agnes

I own a Copper Spur UL 2. It has been a great tent so far. I have only owned it for about a year, but it seems awesome. The last hunt I used it on involved rain all day, clearing up at night just as the temperature dropped below freezing. Those conditions lasted for several days, and this tent kept me dry, without excessive condensation or frost buildup. It also held 2 guys and a lot of gear (under the vestibules) for a successful 7 day sheep hunt in the AK Range last year. I'll be taking it to Yakutat chasing bears in a couple of weeks, so I suppose I'll really see what it can do then! But, like I said, so far I love it.

I have a seed house 3 (or is it a 2? I cant remember)and I have used it alot in southeast AK, I love it. It's kept me dry when my friends REI tent was wet inside and its around 4lbs. Be careful of the noseeum mesh it will rip easy.