Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp with Eggs

Default Shrimp with Eggs

What do you do with the Shrimp you catch with eggs? This year we plan to start throwing them back.

I think this is a good step towards conserving the resource.

We plan to keep a bucket of sea water handy to throw the females with eggs in. The ones that are clearly still kicking go immediately back into the water.

Thoughts?

On my boat they get dipped in the butter and garlic just like the eggless ones! I love the eggs! I have thought of doing the same thing, though. I would be curious as to what the survival rate would be? How many of them do you suppose make it back to the bottom without getting gobbled up? I believe that F&G did some research and tagging on PWS shrimp years ago that involved tagging shrimp. They re-caught tagged shrimp, so I guess some of them make it back home.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yep, drop them in the water. Boiling water that is...

Default Survival Rate?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    On my boat they get dipped in the butter and garlic just like the eggless ones! I love the eggs! I have thought of doing the same thing, though. I would be curious as to what the survival rate would be? How many of them do you suppose make it back to the bottom without getting gobbled up? I believe that F&G did some research and tagging on PWS shrimp years ago that involved tagging shrimp. They re-caught tagged shrimp, so I guess some of them make it back home.

I wondered what the survival rate would be myself, but hey if one in ten made it back down that is a bunch of young shrimp.
    Sort of like a famer back in Iowa told me about whitetail. His thought was killing a buck didn't amount to much, but kill one doe and you have really done something! Of course in Iowa he was wanting to control the population verses sustain it, but it is still the same principal.
    I started thinking about this last year and with all of the discussion around proper reporting, it seemed to make more sense than ever. Heck it may cost me 10 lbs of shrimp over a season, but those 10 lbs could produce millions of eggs. So I am up for it.
    Kind of the same principal we have with Halibut. If it is close to or over 100 lbs we put her back. Of course most people still want to drag them back for pictures and deep fry.
    I have wondered what our fishery would look like today if we had been religous throwing back those +100 lb fish over the years. Do you think we would be fighting a 1 fish limit today? I know releasing big fish (because they are females) has paid off big time with other fisheries. Why not give it a try with ours?
    I will at least throw mine back and I can report how many seem to be in good enough shape to make it back down. Based on a little time in a fresh bucket of good old PWS water.

Default Thread here

somewhere about how when you bring them up the sunlight blinds them.
    So putting back blinded shrimp just makes an easier meal to the predators.

Daveinthebush, wasn't it you that found that report?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

My observation has been that released shrimp pretty much sink..not swim out of sight suggesting less than optimal health. If releasing egged up shrimp made much of a difference, I'm sure the regulations would reflect the same and that we would not see an increase from 5 to 8 pots for the sports fishery. I'd prefer to munch 'em...but then, I never met a shrimp I didn't like.

Marinade in lemon juice and garlic, saute in butter, enjoy.

Default Eat em

Eat them. They are blind when you return them. Having never seen light and being yanked into the sun llight..... eat them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Eggs or no eggs i think any shrimp that gets hauled up off the bottom up 600 or so feet is a dead shrimp because by the time they sink back to the bottom the current has most likely drifted them miles from their home bottom on to who knows what kind of bottom and depth. I think the right thing to do is have fish & game shorten the season by at least a few weeks, if you haven't caught enough shrimp by the end of august well shame on ya.
    One other thing! i'd bet that out of thousands of eggs each female hatches not that many shrimp eggs or larvae make it into adult shrimp, i know with lobsters its a very low number. So the few eggers we release probably wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default My supervisor

releases them into boiling water with the heads to make shrimp stock. She then freezes them into ice cubes.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think the right thing to do is have fish & game shorten the season by at least a few weeks, if you haven't caught enough shrimp by the end of august well shame on ya.
    Why shorten the season when they just opened it back up for the commercial guys and increased our pot limit? Besides I would bet the majority of shrimp are taken June, July and Aug. when boating season is in full swing.
    Last edited by Muskie; 04-26-2010 at 15:45. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Why shorten the season when they just opened it back up for the commercial guys and increased our pot limit? Besides I would bet the majority of shrimp are taken June, July and Aug. when boating season is in full swing.
    So the eggers have a chance to drop their eggs, not be caught and killed, so we can continue to have the good shrimping we are experiencing. I think F&G gave the additional 3 pots to throw a bone to the rec fleet because they opened the commercial fishery again.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

So the eggers have a chance to drop their eggs, not be caught and killed, so we can continue to have the good shrimping we are experiencing. I think F&G gave the additional 3 pots to throw a bone to the rec fleet because they opened the commercial fishery again.
    According to the Fish and Game website spot shrimp spawn in the fall and hatch in the spring, so maybe a later start would be a better solution. Also here is a good link to the tagging of shrimp for anyone interested. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/afr...1/kmkrv3n1.pdf

Default My theory is

I think they go in and out at will, I was going to try leaving them in the pot to see if they leave when they get back down. I have been wanting to prove it to myself anyway. I was going to clip a few tails slightly to see.

Default They do

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    I think they go in and out at will, .....
    Yes they do go in and out at will. Video footage shows that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Yes they do go in and out at will. Video footage shows that they do.
    I think he means dropping them back down after having brought them to the surface. Then if they leave the pot it shows that they can survive the trip up and down ok.

I find it interesting that so many people have ideas or guesses about how to best manage the shrimp, whether or not they go blind when brought to the surface, keep or don't keep eggers, when to start or stop the shrimping season, etc. Personally, I have absolutely no idea what the answers are.

Does no one believe that F&G has any idea what they're doing? Wouldn't they have research to back up why they make the decisions they do regarding shrimping? Not to say that politics couldn't possibly be playing a part, but they must have some answers to these questions.

All theories brought up here are interesting, but I would like to see some research to go along with them.

Default my opinion

A lot of people have little to zero trust in the fish and game's ability to manage game animals and sport fish.

I am of the opinion that once an entity becomes a gov't entity that is making and spending budgets that some or even a lot of the original intent behind starting the entity in the first place is lost. On the other hand - nobody knows the full extent of what our "management" processes do for the numbers and continued survival of a species. Especially one under the Ocean surface.

What if the eggers fall out of the pot when you drop them - they don't have to climb out......I am almost certain that I lost lots of shrimp pulling with the bouy and those babies weren't climbing out....

Eggers - I eat em.

Default Terrain

If you look at the mountains around the area, flip them over in your mind and imagine that the bottom is the reverse of the mountains. No one can shrimp all of that terrain since parts of the sound are 2,000 feet deep. I think it would be almost impossible to "shrimp out" the sound.

[QUOTE=Bullelkklr;722684]A lot of people have little to zero trust in the fish and game's ability to manage game animals and sport fish.

I am of the opinion that once an entity becomes a gov't entity that is making and spending budgets that some or even a lot of the original intent behind starting the entity in the first place is lost. On the other hand - nobody knows the full extent of what our "management" processes do for the numbers and continued survival of a species. Especially one under the Ocean surface.

A fine example of what the gov't can do to a bunch of fisheries
    nmfs sticker.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I think F&G gave the additional 3 pots to throw a bone to the rec fleet because they opened the commercial fishery again.
    If you read the justification in the EO that gave more pots, you will see that f&g is just trying to provide the noncommercial user the ability to harvest their allocation. Based upon past effort, the noncommercial harvest would not be able to harvest the full allocation with only 5 pots. The commercial fleet will be allowed additional openers until they reach their allocation and rightfully so. Why should it be any different for the noncommercial user? History shows that when one user group continually fails to take all they are allotted, then the other group will want what's left over.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...rimp%20_2_.pdf

JUSTIFICATION:
    At the statewide Board of Fish Shellfish meeting in March of 2009 the Board of Fish ruled that when a harvestable surplus of 110,000 pounds of spot shrimp are estimated in Prince William Sound a commercial pot shrimp fishery will open. The Board further ruled that the oncommercial (sport, personal use, and subsistence) shrimp fisheries would be allocated 60% of this estimated harvestable surplus.
    ADF&G has estimated a harvestable surplus of 137,200 pounds of spot shrimp for the 2010 season. With the designated allocation of 60%, there are 82,200 pounds of shrimp eligible to be harvested by the non-commercial pot shrimp fisheries. Provisions in the Prince William Sound non-commercial management plan 5 AAC 55.055 (c) allow the department to liberalize the amount of gear used to achieve the allocated harvest. In 2009 the non-commercial pot shrimp fisheries harvested an estimated 52,400 pounds of shrimp with the limit of 5 pots per person with a maximum of 5 pots per vessel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast