Thread: Brown bears with "hairy pads"?

Default Brown bears with "hairy pads"?

Okay I remember a while back there was some discussion of spring brownies with "hairy pads", and I thought some photos would be in order. I tried to no avail to find the thread... I think there might have been some confusion...

Anyway here is one photo that just came in from the field. About an 8 1/2 footer from the Alaska Range- lots of hair between the front pad and the toes, but none on the "pads" themselves. This bear was just out of the den; it was a boar, and you can see that the pads are not quite as calloused as they get toward fall.

Could someone post a photo of the "hairy pads" they were talking about?

-Mike

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

How embarassing for the bear. Isn't this the same as a guy with hairy palms? What can you expect when breeding season is only once per year?

I have a black bear with hair that extends half an inch or more past the end of the claws, but I've never seen hairy palms. I thought that was an indication of just out of the den, but I shot her on the 31st of May.

Default I think they were seeing pads shedding

You can see on the pad in the background it's shedding the pad, the hind being held has not started yet.

Default big feet

Those are some big feet. Ive never seen hair on the pad itself but i have seen long hair between the toes that covers the pads to some extent on early spring bears. Sorry no pictures though.

Here is the link Mike is referring to: HAIRY PADS
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Smile show me the bear...

A 8 1/2 foot interior bear! Show me a few pics! I was cured of my foot fetish years ago Mike.

Wink those brownies

with the hairy pads are pretty easy to find - they're usually blind, too.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    with the hairy pads are pretty easy to find - they're usually blind, too.
    Gary
    I heard they also have high speed internet in their dens.

Trapperbob has it; If his bear were still moving on those feet, the rear would exfoliate to smooth. The pad that hes not holding still has patches of that carpet like stuff.
    Not "Hair" not "Shedding" its pad skin were talking about but relating to "Hairy" and its throwing guys off...........
    The Brown I got yesterday has most of it wore off, but enough to get the point across.
    what were talking about is the thickend epidermis getting soggy and the skin of the pads themselfs look like shagg carpet prior to exfoliation. Not any form of hair, it sthe skin and the cells,like whenyou soak your feet and the skin sluffs off. On the pad of a newly emerged Bear it is the winter grown skin.
    Bears around here were out for awhile and denneup'd again when we went back below zero. well its be +20 and down to 5 at night and we saw 1/2 dozen Bears the last two days out after nothing for a week, so its a temperature thing here.
    The extra skin sloughs off fairly quick, and probly when they were first out. If they went back in the den after a few days out, I doubt they regrew such for the latest reemergence....

Im in Kotz and the computer wont take my SD card, so when im home tomarrow, Ill post pix.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....