Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 win for big game?

Korea, but soon I'll be at Ft. Wainwright.

Default .308 win for big game?

I have been reading the posts for a while and the general consensus is that the .338 is one of the best all around rifles for alaskan big game. But the question i have is wat about the .308? I am interested in taking as many big game animals as i can while im stationed in alaska, and i would like to know if a .308 would be enough gun for bear, moose, bou, etc.
    If life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life, lets get wasted and have the time of our lives. TK

The .308 is plenty of gun for moose, black bear, caribou, sheep, goat, etc. The only animals that I would hesitate to use a .308 on would be Bison or coastal brown bears. As long as you take clear, unobstructed shots and aim for the kill zone (lungs/heart) at a range that you know you are accurate at because of hours of practice, the .308 is a great Alaskan round.

Welcome to Alaska in advance!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 87norris View Post
    I am interested in taking as many big game animals as i can while im stationed in alaska
    By the way, I would stongly recommend that you choose one species and focus on planning to hunt that one animal exclusively until you get your feet wet, so to speak. It is hard to overstate just how big Alaska is and how different hunting is here than other places. Some folks come up with plans that are simply too ambitious, and they end up having very little success because instead of focusing and making solid, research-based plans they just haphazardly head to the woods and expect to find critters behind every tree. Your success will be greater and your experience better if you take Alaska hunting one step at a time. Caribou is a great species to focus on first, in my opinion, as are moose or black bear. Although probably the best thing you could do is hang up the gun for a year and spend time helping out a resident who is willing to have a tag-along. Taking the time to observe and learn early will pay great dividends later. Good luck!

-Brian

Default .308

I have a .308. it was my first rifle - purchased when I was in high school back in the early 80's. I love gun as it always shoots straight and true. I've used it to take several caribou and have carried it on one sheep hunt. I actually carried it moose hunting my first year of hunting up here.

My take is that it is too light for a lot of Alaska hunting. Yes, well placed shots with it will kill the game, but lets face it - not every situation is perfect and not every shot is well placed.

caribou, blacktail deer or sheep - yes but you are limited in range
    goat - perhaps but you gotta put a goat on the ground before he decides to leap off the nearest cliff and they don't go down easy
    moose - better limit yourself to sure kill zone shots
    black bear - yes but remember that a wonded bear is a bad bear
    griz - why take such a chance

Others will certainly disagree in one aspect or another.

If you have the coin it would be worth upgrading. Something with more whump and more reach. I opted for the .338 you speak of. Yet I would like to have another gun for sheep hunting that is not as heavy as my .338 and better reach than my .308.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Korea, but soon I'll be at Ft. Wainwright.

Default Thanks....

Hey guys thanks for the info. I appreciate it, i will prolly end up gettin a .338 b/c i have to buy a new rifle anyway, i might as well get the one i want and can use to the full extent. I also appreciate the hunting tips, im not bringing my guns with me when i first go up there so i will have some time to meet some residents and get started before i actually even go hunting. Im also really interested in doin some predator hunting while im up there.
    If life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life, lets get wasted and have the time of our lives. TK

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post

My take is that it is too light for a lot of Alaska hunting. Yes, well placed shots with it will kill the game, but lets face it - not every situation is perfect and not every shot is well placed.
    Why is that. It is only 100 FPS or less slower than the 30-06 with every bullet weight up to 200 grains and the 30-06 has been doing quite nicely in the State of Alaska.
    Allen Glore

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

308 will work just fine.
    Allen Glore

308 or aught six either way you roll, will work fine, but like carinivore stated...not ever situation works out perfectly. if you have to buy a new gun anyway, the .338 is a great choice it has a bullet weight range of 160-275's i belive and can handle anything in alaska and won't be over gunned for any of it, or undergunned. its a great deer round on kodiak and south east, does very little meat damage, has the range for caribou and sheep if you do some practicing and enough punch to slow your bears and moose.
    you'll feel funny walkin' into brush with your .308 after you heard the bear growl a couple mintues after you shot, you .338 will make you feel a "little" better.
    I guess the question is why buy a gun that work better for some than others when you can buy a gun that works great for all of it?
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Default .308

Well my take on the situation is many people kill these animals with a bow and arrow... And I am one of these crazy bowhunters, so I say use the .308... Why not ammo is good and cheap compared to the .338,

Default Works fine...

I have used and still do use the 308 and it works fine. There is wide variety of the "over the counter ammunition" in premium constructed bullets that work.

i guess you could throw cheap ammo at animals if thats how you want to decide what you kill stuff with, you shoot the cheap arrows? you know bullets and arrows kill with different methods and not all bullets are created equal, like broadheads.
    theres no argument that the 308 will work on anything in north america, it already has. just the question of what might be a better all around gun so this guy don't have to end up buying two rifles. I've never seen anything killed to dead...but i have seen stuff that wasnt' dead enough.

BRWNBR,
    Funny you should ask about the cheap arrows, becuz I have been shooting some cheap carbon arrows from Cabela's... And to my surprise they have worked great 7 whitetails, 1 caribou, 1 black bear and 1 mt. Lion with they same cheap arrow. Not the same dozen, the same arrow all pass thru shots... Cheap ammo meant compared to the .338 I have, the .308 is cheaper ammo....

big dog, ya i know what ya mean, i was just razin' ya a bit. guns kill thats the bottom line, just some kill better than others more often.

Default Interesting read on cartridges/calibers used in AK

87norris:

Interesting read on cartridges/calibers used in AK:

Cartridges of Alaska's Hunters – Too Much Gun?

http://www.alaskabears.alaska.gov/in...lletin.hntbul8

(If you click on the link at the top list and it doesn't work, the article is about half way down, a few articles below the AK Bigfoot article!)

thats a topic that'll be around forever.
    he touched on some good points..
    be able to shoot it comfortably...
    good shots from smaller guns are better than bad shots from big guns....

its common sense when it comes to killing. put the bullet it where it needs to be, it don't much matter what it comes from.

so if you can shoot the .338 just as well as the .308 then it don't much matter, the .338 just makes a bigger hole, more blood loss and tissue damage, both good things.

I'm gonna disagree with him on the "knock down" power part though...its real. just on broadside double lungers like he refering to you don't see that effect.
    but i've seen it...

I think the .308 is a good round, and will definitely take most anything with a well placed shot. But, what about when you're walking down the trail and you have to make a snap-shot on a large bear, and you only get one? Most of the areas you'll be pursuing other species also hold that danger...just because that goat is up in the rocks, doesn't mean you won't be walking through that nasty bear's back porch to get to him. I would opt for something with some serious energy just to give myself peace of mind. You hear about the .338 all the time to the point that you almost get sick of it, but, that's my minimum. It's not a bad long range shooter either.

Default .308, why not?

I have hunted with a .308 for many years and I like it a bunch. I have taken deer, moose and lots of Bou with my little .308.

I have traded up to a 270 last year and I like the hell out of it because I can reach out 400+ yards and knock down Bou but the 308 is still my favorite!

Walt

www.northwestalaska.com

Default Or Why?

I agree the .308 would work, but if you are looking to buy a new gun I personally wouldn't go that route. I would side with B_M in that you need to ask yourself what you will most likely pursue during your tenure in AK. If you are chasing sheep as ultra-lightweight .308 or 7mm-08 would be ideal because of the potential weight savings.

If you are more likely going after something larger, farther away, or in a area where you may encounter fuzzy-wuzzy, maybe the oft revered 7mm Rem Mag or 300 WM would be a better choice but still retain the ability to hunt smaller things (which may be useful since you probably won't be stationed in AK forever).

My $.02. 'Tis a subject oft debated, but hasn't lost its fun yet...

Mtn Wx

Thumbs up

I have just purchased my son a .308 for his first rifle. I plan on taking him Black bear and moose hunting this next year without hesitation. The main thing with the .308 is that with Big Game I am going to make sure that he is within 150 yards. Personally I would go at least with a .300 Win Mag being that at least with Rugar they are all the same price, .270,.308,.300,.338. If you like the .308 I would go ahead and get it but I would not go for the longer shots on Big Game...happy hunting!

Default 308 big enough??

Actually the 308 is a very good cartridge.....If you know your rifle inside and out (which most people don't). Train with it constantly (which most people don't). I've taken deer, elk and blackbear at tremendous long ranges, but I used to train with my weapon every day. But I do believe that for the larger animals a larger caliber would serve you better. Since moving to Alaska I carry a 375 H&H though I still train with my 308 I like the 300 gr bullets of the 375 especially in big bear country.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast