Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Kings

Default Winter Kings

I am looking for a winter king charter for next year. Was wondering if anyone had a good time and could point me in the right direction. Definately will be two of us but if I had to fill a boat with five or six I could also make that happen.

Where are you looking to fish for them? I've been fishing for them all winter out in K-Bay and I know who the guys are that are out there just about every day.

I will fish where ever I have the best chances of catching fish between 1 Nov to 1 Mar

on the Huntress with Josh...hands down

or on the julia lynn with captain pete, or with steve walli... all those guys are highliners.
    if you can get to kodiak i don't think you could go wrong with kodiakcombos either. he catches some awfully nice fish year-round.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I guess I'd try Homer. I've been catching them all winter long. Between November and now I've caught over 30 kings of various sizes up to 23 lbs. I don't think Homer can be beat for winter kings. I don't know this for a fact, but I had a friend that lived in Kodiak and he seems to indicate that Homer is better.

I'd certainly give Huntress or Julia Lynn a try if I didn't have my own boat and business. Huntress is out there just about every day I'm out there. I don't see the Julia Lynn quite as much.

BTW Mike. If you'd like to see what Kachemak Bay has to offer I have some of my winter king pics posted in the "Sticky" thread for "2010 Fishing Pictures". There are some nice one's out there. During the Homer Winter King tournament the winning fish was 38 lbs., second was 34 and then a bunch of fish in the 20's. I caught a 20 pounder just yesterday. Here's a pic:

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Kodiak tuna

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I will fish where ever I have the best chances of catching fish between 1 Nov to 1 Mar
    Nov and Feb were very productive for kings, the biggest was 46 most in the 30s 50% were white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Looks like Kodiak has got the best winter kings w/o a doubt! Can you enter a Kodiak winter king in the Homer derby? If so Book me 3 seats in March Kodiakcombo

man, i live in homer AND have a boat... and i wanna go fish kodiakcombos!
    (of course, the "combo" part is pretty appealing too..... love that venison!)

I'm very envious of Kodiak winter king fishing!

Default Kodiak Envy

WOW I've been to Kodiak many times to fish for silvers on the road system but I was never aware of the winter king fishery out there. How long do you think it would take me to get to Kodiak from the Homer Spit??? Nice fish guys !!!

Default Don't neglect Homer!

Come on people. Don't forget about Homer. It's on the road system and won't cost you the $450 or so it will cost you to take your vehicle over to Kodiak. Here's what we caught yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Come on people. Don't forget about Homer.
    I don't know, man. I like Homer, but if I were planning a trip specifically for winter king fishing, Kodiak would be my choice hands-down. A couple of pictures notwithstanding, most everything I've read and heard indicates that Kodiak is the place to be.

http://aksaltwatercharters.com/

Fishes outta Seward year round.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    http://aksaltwatercharters.com/

Fishes outta Seward year round.
    used to fish out of homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't know, man. I like Homer, but if I were planning a trip specifically for winter king fishing, Kodiak would be my choice hands-down. A couple of pictures notwithstanding, most everything I've read and heard indicates that Kodiak is the place to be.

head over in the fall and combo with deer or goat.... how could that be beat??!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Brian, you forgot to include the part of my quote saying that it will cost you at least $450 to get to Kodiak and back. And that's once you get to Homer. All I'm saying is I'd rather fish here in Homer for winter kings for $450 less than it would cost me to go to Kodiak and fish for them. Just want to be sure the original poster realizes what he's got in store in either place. Of course Maybe MikeL. lives in Kodiak and then I guess I'd just stay there than come to Homer, but some people don't have big bucks like that to take the ferry or ERA over to Kodiak.

I'd love to go over to Kodiak and fish for them, too, but when I can go 10 miles from home and catch two kings in the 16 to 21 pound range I'm pretty satisfied. Just thought I'd point that out to the guy.

OK. Let me rephrase it. MikeL., if you want to spend $450 or more than it would cost you to come to Homer and fish for them, I'd go to Kodiak, too. It's incredibly beautiful there and it looks like from the "couple of pictures" Kodiakcombo posted that there are some really nice winter kings there. I'd love to go over there and fish for them myself, but I have a hard time tearing myself away from fishing for them here.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    head over in the fall and combo with deer or goat.... how could that be beat??!
    My Wife and I are looking into that exact scenario for deer/salmon.....(Since we didn't draw ONE frigging tag we applied for )
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Brian, you forgot to include the part of my quote saying that it will cost you at least $450 to get to Kodiak and back. And that's once you get to Homer.
    Didn't forget it. It's simply not true, so I didn't address it. I've never paid more than $250 to get to Kodiak round-trip, and if you plan in advance you can often get tickets there for less money than that. If someone is planning a winter king charter trip, they probably don't need to take their own vehicle. As for "once they get to Homer", why would they need to pass through Homer in the first place? There is an airport in Anchorage with flights to Kodiak - for far less than $450/person.

Not knocking Homer, by the way. I love the place and it has pretty solid king fishing. If I was looking specifically for winter kings, though, it would not be my #1 choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast