Thread: How Much Meat in the Freezer?

Default How Much Meat in the Freezer?

How much meat are you folks estimating is actually packed away in the freezer from these critters,
    Coastal Spring Black Bear
    Kodiak Blacktail Deer,
    Raspberry or Afognak Bull Elk,
    Mt. Goat,
    Dall Sheep
    and others, anybody doing the math on Organic meat prices, you know, justify that next rifle....

I know there's no way to value the Strength recieved from Hunting the Woods of Alaska, but curious as to what we are actually putting on the table, I think we "actually wrapped" 55 lbs. off a Winter Blacktail this year,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My hunts are tax deductable if I bring meat even 10 lbs.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If Im lucky enought I get enough not to have to get meat from the store. This year I hope to get three black bears and a moose but like I said if Im lucky enough

I would say around 60 pounds each for the deer, sheep and goat (may be a little more for the goat).
    For a mature bull elk; 200 pounds.

Default Here you go!

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul.../caribouid.pdf

This s from F&G website. Not sure how accurate, but should be what your looking for.

Brad

Default F&G optimistic

Yeah I had seen the F&G numbers and was thinking they were a bit optimistic, hence the question for guys who have put a lot of animals in, thanks for that link tho, Zinker

From boned in the field to actual packages of wrapped meat in your freezer, Venison usually comes out a bit lighter on my end than 68lbs, more like 55-60

Coastal Black Bear seem larger than what I have seen in the Talkeetna area, 350lb for animal(?),(is it possible they go as high as 500 on the coast?

They say 462 boned out for Elk, seems I read more like 350 lbs boned out from someone on here recently killing one? Ksaye says 200

More of your experiences, appreciated, Im not really thinking about what I have to carry as much as how much it takes to feed my two growing boys, Man they are meat eaters

Anyone taken one of the Kodiak Reindeer lately? I hear they are pretty big for Caribou?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Tax deductible?

jkb, how're you doin' that?

I was thinking maybe if I become a Hunt Transporter with my boat, all my rifles and reloading gear can be considered "doing research for my business" What dya think?

Probably be a Hot Topic for the Global Discussion maniacs, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul.../caribouid.pdf

This s from F&G website. Not sure how accurate, but should be what your looking for.

Brad
    when I first read this I was a little skeptical, but then I read "estimated maximum weight". So I guess that's probably not too far off base.

I have killed 4 rocky mountain elk; 2 cows were around 180 pounds of meat each; 2 mature 5x6 bulls yielded about 230 pounds each. The roosevelts on the islands may be a little bigger; so I may have been a little conservative with 200 pounds...may be closer to 250 pounds....

I'll never know....

I keep filling it up , and then sent out to do it again.......

We keep, cook and chew the bones, I might add, then bust them and suck out the marrow.....and lick the gravey...........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....