Thread: Calling brown bear

Default Calling brown bear

Interested in any experience or knowlege anyone may have in calling brown bear. Do they respond similar to black bear calls and are electronic callers legal to use in Alaska?

Default Calling Brown bears

I know one thing for a fact....while hunting goats on Kodiak, they come a runnin' at the sound of rifle shots, I guess its a dinner bell to them......

ya just fire lots of ammo up in the air and prepare for an attack..its crazy

some fawn bleats will get their attention..never had one come to a predator call though, i've tried.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'll tell you how it works this spring I have wildlife tec call and a new video camara. I'm going to try very hard this year to call on a bear of any color.

I'll tell you how it works this spring I have wildlife tec call and a new video camara. I'm going to try very hard this year to call on a bear of any color. One thing I did do is get a sd card for my caller and went to utube and copied the sound from the black bear taken the calf moose. So know I have that sound on my caller.

Here is another thread on the topic (from last year) that may give you some more information.

Mike - give me a call and I'll go out with you if you want/need company - I was out calling for bears last year and called in a few black's on the Kenai Peninusla with my hunting partner. Talk about a kick in the pants.. not much compares to the excitement, but personally, I wouldn't do it alone.

As soon as my spot opens up, I plan to head out and get that 6-6.5' black that cost me a scope last year.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Sounds good. I'll stop by the office here some time after the 4th. I'll be back in town. Were pretty much done up here on slope for the season. I got some great sounds on my calls. I got bears fights, winning bear cubs, calf moose in distress, ravens, should be fun. Also I have never called bears yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Here is another thread on the topic (from last year) that may give you some more information.

Mike - give me a call and I'll go out with you if you want/need company - I was out calling for bears last year and called in a few black's on the Kenai Peninusla with my hunting partner. Talk about a kick in the pants.. not much compares to the excitement, but personally, I wouldn't do it alone.

As soon as my spot opens up, I plan to head out and get that 6-6.5' black that cost me a scope last year.

Default calls

I have called interior grizzlys with a regular predator call ( rabbit squeal). I have only tried it when I have seen the bear and wanted to get it closer, Ive seen them come in and Ive seen them head for the next Mt.

Default some times...

I have talked to a few who have did it and more that had no luck. I know a moose cow call some times works if it is almost dark and you are sitting on a small water hole...

Default calling brown bear

I have had a wildlife tec caller for several ys, love it. How hard is it to change cards, I would like to have the bear killing moose sound..

take the back of the call. inside you find a little sd card take that out and then put your new one it. All the calls i have other than the moose you can get from wildlife tec. The moose calf is alittle hard to get just the sound off the video on utube. If the guy taking the video would have kepe his mouth shut it woould have been easier. You one have 3 seconds on no human voices. It a matter of recording and copying the sound over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by l.nodolf View Post
    I have had a wildlife tec caller for several ys, love it. How hard is it to change cards, I would like to have the bear killing moose sound..

Smile bear call

I have called them in in the fall, but never any luck in the spring. Good luck and keep us posted. I would love to here any sucess stories.