Thread: blacks / grizzlies and cayenne peper

Default blacks / grizzlies and cayenne peper

I went to sportsmans today to listen to their bear baitng class. He said one thing I have not heard before that if you put out a bait with cayenne pepper the blacks won't touch it but a grizzly will eat it and if he does it upsets his stomach so bad they stop hitting a bait has anyone ever heard of this ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default nuff said..

i think the sign says it all

Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've seen that and i know bears have eaten raft with pepper on them , but will they return again

Angry Whoooaaaa!!!

Hold on a minute!

Long-story-short:

We saw the perp black bear near our sheep camp as we were returning one evening.

He shredded lots of stuff, scattered lots of stuff, but ONLY ate my small plastic container of cayenne pepper. Found it chewed and empty.

And he was still hanging around with no ill side-effects!

I was amazed.

Taylor

-[]--------->

Well I guess you can't blieve everything a guy at sportsmans tell you then. He also recommended using buckshot for blacks on a bait because slugs only put in a little hole and don't work.

I guess I will just not waste time bring out the cayenne.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    Well I guess you can't blieve everything a guy at sportsmans tell you then. He also recommended using buckshot for blacks on a bait because slugs only put in a little hole and don't work.
    OH BOY!!!! if i wasn't laughing so hard i would give you a resonable reply

Those that can DO.... those that can't...... T errrr(left out for Brian Ms sake)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

He also said that you cannot put up a stand in unit 7 so I knew he was wrong on 2 points but I didn't know about the pepper so i thought I would ask those that DO instead of those that T.

My experience with slugs is slightly different big holes on both sides but I didn't want to correct him.

the majority of people at SW dont have a clue what they are talking about. quite rare is the time i even bother asking questions....i think theres a reason they hire people like that, so they can sell more CRAP to unsuspecting tourists and newbies! you can bait black bear in unit 7 i am pretty sure, someone PLEASE correct me if im wrong........also, buckshot vs slug.......hmmm i dont think id use either if i had a good .30 caliber rifle.......but slugs are definately more deadly than buckshot......

Release Lake Trout

Slugs have performed excellently for me on baits at the short ranges I think the farthest any went after they we shot was 30 yards with a breneke slug most don't go anywhere but roll around in a big circle

Buckshot is for bucks. Birdshot is for birds. Slugs are for shooting snails?...

Anyway, sounds like you've got that blackbear killing worked out! (wink)

Taylor