Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy my eleven a rifle, what cal.

Default Looking to buy my eleven a rifle, what cal.

Sorry to say, I don't live in AK yet, but I do live in CO.
    He will be hunting Deer and Elk next year. This gives me a year to get him ready. Kid stands about 4' 10" and weighs about 90LBS., if he's lucky. I've been trying to figure out what cal. to buy him and can't seem to make up my mind. I want something bigger than a .243. I just don't know what.

Ideas?

I'd go with a 7mm-08, probably in a youth model Remington Model 7.

Default 2nd

I will second Brownbear I bought my daughter that gun when she was 13, she loves it and killed her first moose with it this year.

Default 3rd but maybe look at a howa

Howa has a pretty good deal on a 7mm-08 and it comes with a youth stock as well as a full size stock. barrel maybe a little short for balancing with the full size stock but could be a good option. I wanna say they are around 5 or 6 for this package.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

260 Remington, 25-06 or a 257 Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
    Sorry to say, I don't live in AK yet, but I do live in CO.
    He will be hunting Deer and Elk next year. This gives me a year to get him ready. Kid stands about 4' 10" and weighs about 90LBS., if he's lucky. I've been trying to figure out what cal. to buy him and can't seem to make up my mind. I want something bigger than a .243. I just don't know what.

Ideas?
    308 carbine with shorter stock (take your pick). load up some starting loads with 110 grain bullets (cheap low recoil target practice), and watch as this rifle will probably stay with him for years to come......probably putting meat on the table for a lifetime. when he outgrows the stock.....many replacements are readily available.

308 or 7mm08 would be my advice. I got my first 308 at age 9 for an elk hunt and loved that rifle from day one. Today everyone raves over 7mm08 as a youth rifle so I would look closely at it but I lean toward 308 for cheap easy ammo and itís what I cut my bolt action teeth on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default .243 or .308

Lotsa good deals on a .243's around...but I remember when I got my .243 on my 10th birthday I was bummed that I didn't get a .308! (which I had asked for) That being said...lotsa good deals on .243's around...and it's a GREAT cartridge. There is .308 ammo out there relatively cheap, though, also.

But, I didn't appreciate the .243 maybe as much then as I do now. I'll pick up another someday "for the wife".

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    260 Remington, 25-06 or a 257 Roberts.
    Bingo. The 260 and 257 would be perfect. He's a kid for Gods sake, don't get him a 7mm or 308 in a 6 pound rifle. What are you people thinking?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

What's wrong with a .243? Bunch of factory ammo available out there with different loads, shoots flat, can drop a moose easily as well, great for 'bou and deer. Some kids fear the kick of a larger caliber rifle and some love it. Have a now 10y old that enjoys getting his butt on the ground after a blast with a rifle or shotgun.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

There is a lot of good advice on this, i used to guide in CO and did see hunters that used a 243's. It will take and elk down and there is guys up here that hunt with them too; BUT, it's still a real light load for thick skin animal. If you get a good shot off it will always take them down but what happens if you did not get that good one off or miss judged the distance?

I just put my wife behind a 308 Tikka and it is great, you can load up or down with the 30 cal for whatever you are hunting. The recoil will not hurt him and with that being said it will not cause flinching in the future because of too much recoil.

You can also go to some mag cal and just go with a muzzle brake
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    He's a kid for Gods sake, don't get him a 7mm or 308 in a 6 pound rifle. What are you people thinking?
    I'm thinking I had a 700 Remington in 308 at age 9 and was in my 20s before I even realized it had any recoil. It didn't even have the added weight of glass on it, just a light cut down 700. I would say don't let him bench shoot it till he has gotten used to it off hand to reduce the chance of a flinch. But don’t under estimate a ability of a light, flexible kid to soak up recoil and not even know they did. Dad said it was a “man’s caliber” and by dang I had the mind set of ‘do your worst and I will ignore it’ but there was actually nothing to ignore till I had much more body mass. We are talking about taking Colorado elk with this rifle after all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I got my first hunting rifle at age 7 and shot my first caribou at age 8. It was a lever action 30-30. I would say maybe go out and look for one of those.

Default rifle choices...

I am going to to get a Rem. Mod. 7 since I have 3 Grand Kids living close to me. A .243, .260, 7-08 or .308 would be good choices, especially if you load your own. Since they have a .243 I will probably go with the .260 Rem. for now and load a good 130 grain bullet. Might even Mag-na-port it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    But don’t under estimate a ability of a light, flexible kid to soak up recoil and not even know they did. Dad said it was a “man’s caliber” and by dang I had the mind set of ‘do your worst and I will ignore it’ but there was actually nothing to ignore till I had much more body mass. We are talking about taking Colorado elk with this rifle after all.
    Yup, or as Dad used to say.."pull it TIGHT into your shoulder son.....no, TIGHTER!". That was with his .300Weatherby, and it was no big deal if you pulled it tight enough. IF you held it loosly...nother story!

I still like the .243, and there's GREAT sales/deals on them right now..very popular for that age (already sized for youth/lightweight). I do also like that 30-30 idea...cuz a kid's eyes would REALLY light up with a nice lever action...and that's mild, yet good enough for elk also (w/right ammo). Either/Or. You could go with a .357/.38 carbine length lever gun also.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't a good HOT .357 w/solid bullet be fine for Elk/Deer at shorter ranges? And the .38 practice ammo would be cheap. Just an idea...maybe not a good one. I know I want one myself for Northern AZ! But I like to get close (usually just with a camera though).

Default 7mm 08

I bought a Wheatherby Vangaurd 7mm08 for my youngest daughter, it came with the a youth and adult stocks. It was about the same price as the reg Vangaurd. She loves her rifle and wants to shoot a moose this year.

Good Luck
    Moose

That Vanguard sounds like a hot deal for my granddaughter. She's ten, but gangly and likely to be tall before long. Switching stocks would sure answer a lot of issues that will almost certainly come up in the next 4 or 5 years.

On the subject of 243, they're sure a lot easier for a kid to shoot. They're not ideal for game larger than deer, but with good shooting into the right parts, dead is dead.

Not even claiming it's an elk rifle, but a few years back visiting friends hunted with me in the Soutwest- mom, dad and a 12 year old. Mom was shooting a 300 Winnie, dad had a 338 and junior was packing his 243 youth rifle.

I heard all the shooting and went to join them. They had jumped three elk, and went to work on the departing forms and got all three. On dressing them out, there was only one bullet hole in each- a 243. And junior had only fired 3 times, while mom and dad emptied most of two mags apiece. Of course, I should have expected it. The year before I watched junior roll a running coyote at a couple of hundred yards with the same rifle. With one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    On dressing them out, there was only one bullet hole in each- a 243. And junior had only fired 3 times, while mom and dad emptied most of two mags apiece. Of course, I should have expected it. The year before I watched junior roll a running coyote at a couple of hundred yards with the same rifle. With one shot.
    I wish I could shoot today half as good as I could when I was a kid. Those youthful eyes and reflexes are sorely missed by me these days!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Tikka T3 Stainless in 6.5x55 Swede...

Light enough to pack all day, mild recoil, and will kill anything with the right bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    On the subject of 243, they're sure a lot easier for a kid to shoot. They're not ideal for game larger than deer, but with good shooting into the right parts, dead is dead.

Not even claiming it's an elk rifle, but a few years back visiting friends hunted with me in the Soutwest- mom, dad and a 12 year old. Mom was shooting a 300 Winnie, dad had a 338 and junior was packing his 243 youth rifle.

I heard all the shooting and went to join them. They had jumped three elk, and went to work on the departing forms and got all three. On dressing them out, there was only one bullet hole in each- a 243. And junior had only fired 3 times, while mom and dad emptied most of two mags apiece. Of course, I should have expected it. The year before I watched junior roll a running coyote at a couple of hundred yards with the same rifle. With one shot.
    Best post of the Day! Thanks for that Brownbear. Cool story/great post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast