Thread: Straight wall pistol case fillers

Question Straight wall pistol case fillers

What is the current consensus these days on the use of case fillers in large, straight wall, pistol cases? I know about the pros and cons from the past. I would be using something like KAPOK or its modern equivalent ( whatever that may be ) which adds little weight to hold the powder in place. I did not like Puff-Lon for use in a revolver as it blew out of the barrel-cylinder gap and it was a pain to fill the cases with. Once I use up all my current stash of powder, I may switch to Trail Boss so I don't have to think about using fillers.

Thank you

Default Using bulkier powder

to help fill the case is probably a better way to go. I've never used filler in straight walled pidtol cases up to the .44 mag for use with lighter loads. I like using 2400.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Is it really that desirable/needed to use a filler in a handgun case?

I would think, that since handgun case capacities are small, and handgun powders are fast burning, coupled with the fact that it's a handgun, powder position wouldn't be a beeg issue, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default No filler needed?

For light loads with fast burning powders like Unque and Bullseye I've never heard of anyone needing or using a filler - just not an issue.

Trailboss will work also but it isn't the most economical solution compared to the old standard powders.

Steel powder looks like a good option for medium loads in the .44 Mag and .500 in my limited experience. It is bulky and easy to ignite and seems to be burn clean - no unburnt power grandules like 2400.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default unburnt granules

from using 2400 is no problem, though some people think it is a real negative. I've never had a problem and it isn't like there is a barrel-full of debris. If you unload a revolver as is normal, with the barrel pointed up, the granules don't accumulate, either. 2400 is a good powder for general use, but has fallen out of fashion.

Default Still a good powder

I've shot a lot of 2400 over the years and it is still a very good powder. The last bottle I bought was bit cheaper than some of the other stuff to boot. I'll continue to use it just for old times sake if nothing else.

The unburnt granules are not a major issue and shouldn't be an issue unless some get in the wrong place like under the etractors on a DA revolver. Even then a few particles shouldn't be an issue.

The Alliant Steel powder is just slightly faster than 2400 and seems to do the same job while burning much cleaner. I think it may be real winner.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    from using 2400 is no problem, though some people think it is a real negative. I've never had a problem and it isn't like there is a barrel-full of debris. If you unload a revolver as is normal, with the barrel pointed up, the granules don't accumulate, either. 2400 is a good powder for general use, but has fallen out of fashion.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The only time I've used fillers is when loading very light loads in volumous rifle cases.

I can see no benefit of fillers in a pistol case, and many downsides. Pressures build fast in pistol cases, and pistols generally don't have a surplus of strength. So getting a little more powder and little more filler in the case than desired can be disastrous.

Use a proper powder for the application, burning up powder for the sake of burning it up in the wrong application is generally a waste of good bullets, time and the accuracy tends to be mediocre to poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukshot View Post
    What is the current consensus these days on the use of case fillers in large, straight wall, pistol cases? I know about the pros and cons from the past. I would be using something like KAPOK or its modern equivalent ( whatever that may be ) which adds little weight to hold the powder in place. I did not like Puff-Lon for use in a revolver as it blew out of the barrel-cylinder gap and it was a pain to fill the cases with. Once I use up all my current stash of powder, I may switch to Trail Boss so I don't have to think about using fillers.

Thank you
    There may be some caveat about certain powders in certain cases but generally fast powder in large cases isn't a problem for handguns.

What caliber and what powder are you using?

Also the burn rate vs charge weight may cause problems with regard to squib loads. Use good data.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've only found one situation that required fillers in straight wall pistol cases: when loading with black powder. You don't want any air space at all with black powder, so you have to use filler (actually wads) to fill the case if the powder charge doesn't rest right up against the base of the bullet. With any smokeless powder I've used, no prob.