Thread: Ranger 4X4 or 6X6?

Default Ranger 4X4 or 6X6?

I know there has been the thread on ATV vs. UTV. I have decided to go with a Ranger. Now the question is does one go with the 4X4 or the 6X6? So if you have either one and are willing to share let me know why you went with that one and what you like and don't like about it.
    Thanks.

what will you be doing with it the majority of the time?

are you looking to purchase new or used? there is a substantial difference in the new 6x6 compared to the older ones...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Niether fits in a garage when they are on a trailer,

I could'nt resist, lol, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Niether fits in a garage when they are on a trailer,

I could'nt resist, lol, lmao.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default 6X6

IMO, get a 2010 6X6. I own one and love it. If you're looking at used, 2009 or newer 4X4 or 2010 6x6. In 2009 Polaris changed the front end of the Rangers to an A-arm suspension which not only made the handling much better but increased stock ground clearance to 12". The 2009 6X6 still has the older MacPherson strut front end and I believe 9" clearance in the front and 6" in the rear. The 2010 6X6 has the new A-arm front end and IRS on all six rear tires making for 12" of stock clearance all the way around.

Except for engine size differences (400, 500, 800) and the HD's suspension, all Rangers are created equal. From the bumper to the rear tires or center tires on a 6X6 everything is the same. Same cab configuration, same storage, same engine compartment, same roll cage, same seating (except for the 400).

The 2010 6X6 has the same wheelbase from front tire to center tire as the 4X4 Ranger so the worries about high centering are mute or equal. It is about 2ft longer (job box and longer bed) so it does have a wider turning radius, but nothing a 3 point turn can't take care of. The ride on a 6X6 is extremely smooth compared to a 4X4. You get the same front dip when going into a hole but when the center tires go into a hole the rear tires are still out and then they switch as you move through the whole giving the feeling of a smoother ride vs. the 4X4 which will bounce in and out of the hole. I've said on here before that who cares about smooth ride, you're off road! But, to be clear that comment was made in reference to aftermarket tire performance. The smoothness of the 2010 6X6 was something I noticed after owning the vehicle and was not a reason that I purchased it. Anyway moving on...

The 4X4 Ranger will rally a bit more because its not as long, and the hp is more so the top speed will be more.

Like I said, the fact that you already decided on a Ranger is good now you just need to decide which model.

There is another thread in the ATV forum called 2010 Polaris 6X6 check it out some of us with 2010 6X6 Rangers and some who wish they had one (you know who you are) have posted pics and there is a discussion on there also.

Good luck.

I do plan on buying new. I will be using it for mostly hunting purposes and taking the family out for rides. How much more "stuff" will the 6X6 go through compared to the 4X4?

Default ranger

I know from experience that the 6x6 will hall all of your gear and 2 large moose where the 4x4 will not. Good luck on picking one, you can't go wrong with polaris