Thread: Canoeing the upper Kenai

Default Canoeing the upper Kenai

Thinking about canoeing the upper Kenai from the Ferry to Jim's. I did it last year in a friends raft and it didnt seem like it would be too difficult in a canoe. So, just looking to hear from others who have done this float.

I am no expert in a canoe, but can usually keep myself out of trouble. I usually do the Little Sue and Willow several times a year, and of' course multiple lakes. Canoe is a 13'3" discovery (very wide). Thoughts?

Only been on the river one time myself and that was last Sept. We floated Sportsmans to Jims each day in our 14' Sotar and I quite often thought to myself, "Man, I could have brought up my Ally pack canoe for this". Trip timing and all is a big deal and like any other river, conditions could change quick. But for the ten days I saw this section in last Sept, there is no reason in the world a canoe couldn't be used.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks Dan. I did a search and came up with more info. Seems like this might be a redundant question, probably should have searched first, but thanks for the help. Think I might wait for the fall to do it when the river is so congested.