Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to drifter and D ray.

Default Thanks to drifter and D ray.

Hooked my first few fish ever on the pin. I appreciate the gear advice and casting lessons you guys gave. Really sped up my learning curve.

Awesome deal Armo!!!
    Another one is dragged screaming to the darkside!!!

If I can hook up a couple lakers this year on my fly rod, I might have to try it.

Nice fish Matt!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Haven't met Drifter but I know D Ray knows his stuff if you're speaking about Dan Hardy.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Awesome deal Armo!!!
    Another one is dragged screaming to the darkside!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Dont feel the force. Pull back, darn to late.

Good Job Armo
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Haven't met Drifter but I know D Ray knows his stuff if you're speaking about Dan Hardy.

Yeah I am talking about Dan. If anyone is looking to get into Pinning I had a very positive experience during a casting lesson with him. He was engaging and patient during my many bird's nests of the first day.

It did feel as if I was cheating a little sometimes with how effective this was. The casting is a little complicated and can be frustrating but once your presentation is out there it is pretty sweet what you can do with it. I never would have been able to reach these fish with a traditional rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Yeah I am talking about Dan. If anyone is looking to get into Pinning I had a very positive experience during a casting lesson with him. He was engaging and patient during my many bird's nests of the first day.

It did feel as if I was cheating a little sometimes with how effective this was. The casting is a little complicated and can be frustrating but once your presentation is out there it is pretty sweet what you can do with it. I never would have been able to reach these fish with a traditional rod.
    Yeah, you were cheating. Also, being able to get up at 5:30 AM and run out without drinking a cup of coffee is cheating as well.

Pretty much a huge cheater...

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Yeah, you were cheating. Also, being able to get up at 5:30 AM and run out without drinking a cup of coffee is cheating as well.

Pretty much a huge cheater...

Haha. Yeah my non-dependence on coffee definitely served me well on this trip. I was pretty dead tired till that first tug (thats what she said) and then that was all the boost I needed.

For those that are interested here is a link to an album of our trip.

Nice, I'd like to run a few drifts through there.

It did feel as if I was cheating a little sometimes with how effective this was.

Ha ha... I had the exact same feeling after giving it a try last Sept on the Upper Kenai.

Cheating? Hardly. No more so than any other type of rod/technique one may employ. Spincasting, flyfishing, baitcasting, trolling, chunking lead, a sharp stick, etc... are all potentially effective fishing tools/techniques. Centerpinning is no different. Simply put, it is the most effective means to catch fish in some circumstances.

I had decided to leave my pinning outfit at home next week till I spoke with you yesterday. On a small SE river flowing through rainforest, I was thinking the float rod would be too cumbersome to carry or use. I was going to take 6 wts for the cutthroat and 8 wts for the steelhead. After talking with you, I have changed my mind. Last night I ordered some smaller floats, shot, and 1/8 ounce jigs with 2nd day shipping
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I was going to take 6 wts for the cutthroat and 8 wts for the steelhead.
    Got anything smaller than a 6wt? For sea-run dollies and cutts I would go max 5wt, with a 3 or 4 about perfect. Remember, SE fish arent exactly huge, and 14-18" is most common (though you might get a couple 20"+ dollies). That is, unless you are fishing for trout in steelhead-infested water, then a 3wt MIGHT not be such a great idea.

Besides, unless you are super limited on luggage space, you can never bring too many rods.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I had decided to leave my pinning outfit at home next week till I spoke with you yesterday. On a small SE river flowing through rainforest, I was thinking the float rod would be too cumbersome to carry or use.
    To be honest it was kind of a huge pain. That is until you got to a super deep pool with swirling current. Then it was amazing, and every time you had to stop on the trail and untangle became worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Got anything smaller than a 6wt? For sea-run dollies and cutts I would go max 5wt, with a 3 or 4 about perfect. Remember, SE fish arent exactly huge, and 14-18" is most common (though you might get a couple 20"+ dollies). That is, unless you are fishing for trout in steelhead-infested water then a 3wt MIGHT not be such a great idea.

Yeah, that is the case. I am going on a steelhead river and will fish for some cutthroats and dollies along the way, alternating rods if you will. With that said, the likelyhood of accidentaly hooking a steelhead on a cutthroat pattern is highly plausable (I hope). Ha ha... I have a nice 4 wt set up I had thought of taking, but figured to error on the side of caution and take the 6 wts.

-Dan

To be honest it was kind of a huge pain.

Which reminds me, I talked to your pilot today as I will see him next week. We had a good little laugh about the float rod on the plane. I told him I had a 4 piece float rod so not to worry. He laughs and in good fun of course says, "You should tell Matt where you got your rod"

Yeah, Matt 13' 2 pce rods don't travel very well.
    You want a nice rod, build yourself a 3 pce 13' Rainshadow XST.
    They are much more plane friendly.

Not as friendly as a 12.5' four piece

Default New setup

I'm looking at getting into a pin setup, probably mid May. Anyone up for schoolin' and teaching a newbie how to cast and just learn the ropes?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    I'm looking at getting into a pin setup, probably mid May. Anyone up for schoolin' and teaching a newbie how to cast and just learn the ropes?
    Bowdy
    Head down to Fishapalooza in September and I'll teach you a few things.

If you want to get some schoolin' earlier talk to the lads at World Wide Angler on Lake Otis as they have some centerpinning lessons coming up I believe.

Awesome! Those are some pretty spectacular pics that you have on facebook, good job!
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast