Thread: Is 9' really necessary?

Default Is 9' really necessary?

Being new to the "fly" part of fishing I thought I would ask here. Is a 9' rod necessary? I have an 8' 6wt and a 8'-6", I think an 8wt., both are $20 garage sale specials. I figure this would be an easy way to see if I really want to take up fly fishing without a large investment.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Willy

I think you will be fine if you are just starting out. I think part of the advantage of a longer rod is that you can cast further, and mend line easier than you can with a shorter rod, however a lot of that depends on the quality of the rod, stiffness, etc.. Who manufactures the rod and what are you going to fish for with it?

Default Doubt 6" will matter that much...

Agree with Woodman. You're getting good bang for buck with your gear now and I haven't found many situations where a distance cast is that important - mainly because a good drift is often tougher on a long cast. I have fished my daughter's 7ft 4wt - which was too short and tough to cast for me.

A gift 9'6" 7wt rod seemed to cast lots better than my 9' rod 8wts, but it was also a much better rod. Although extra length is handy for mending and makes it easier to pick line up off the water - noticably so for float tubers, etc, if I was in your shoes, I think I'd fish what I have... maybe start saving pennies, or hinting how purty those Sage (Loomis, etc) 9'6" rods look to gift giving friends.

Good luck this season.

Use what you got for now. As your experience in flyfishing increases, likely so will the emphasis you put on your equipment. Get out and have fun.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've got fly rods all the way from 5' 10" (1970's era Orvis bamboo midge rod) to 14' speys. They all have their uses and limitations. Taper and backbone or spine are lots more important considerations. I bet you'll do just fine with them, provided their other characteristics meet your needs and conditions. You'll likely never miss the 6" compared to a 9' rod.

Enjoy, and welcome to fly fishing. It's addictive!

Thank you for the replies.

woodman...
    I hope to be around the Willow area this fall for some bows. The 6 wt I have is an Actionrod, glass. If it breaks... this would be a good reason to upgrade to a better one.

Cool use

enough split shot & your 8 footer will flip a fly as far as a 9 or 10 foot rod.
    If you watch (observe) most fly "casters" in AK, you'll see more flipping than casting.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If you watch (observe) most fly "casters" in AK, you'll see more flipping than casting.
    Gary
    Aint that the truth! I once had a guy tell me you couldn't catch silvers in shallow water because they were spooky, and by the time you put on enough split shot to be able to cast to them, you'd always hang on bottom. Sheesh.

Talking the main reason

for using large amounts of split shot is - you gotta carry enough lead on one side to balance out the big handgun hanging on the other side. You get a sore back, otherwise.
    Gary

My wife says 9" is perf errrrrr wait that read 9'. Nevermind move along here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    for using large amounts of split shot is - you gotta carry enough lead on one side to balance out the big handgun hanging on the other side. You get a sore back, otherwise.
    Gary
    lol... I got a chest holster and carry a backpack to balance myself.

Smile yeah, no matter

where you pack the iron, ya gotta counter-weight it.
    Gary

Default I started

I started fly fishing with an 8' ugly stick 6-7wt rod. It helped me learn and caught a lot of fish. Just as many fish as either one of my 9' 8wts.