Thread: .325 WSM load workups-M70 Extreme Weather

Default .325 WSM load workups-M70 Extreme Weather

working up loads for .325 WSM, trying RL19 and RL17 in standard grain weights listed in manuals. Trying Barnes TSX BT 200 gr and Nosler AccuBond 200gr; Barnes TSX BT COAL is 2.895" and the AB is 2.884" which is .005" off of lands for each bullet, still leaving plenty of room for cartridge to fit well in magazine. Anyone else worked up loads for this caliber? If so, what have you tried, anything to pass on, lessons learned and such? Maybe a different bullet or different powder? Thx
    I will not make it to the range for about ten days but will post results when I do.

Check out the attached link. I have done quite a bit of load testing with the same rifle and caliber. I have been very impressed with my new Extreme Weather Winchester 325WSM.
    I would like to hear your review about the rifle after you have fired it.

You can send me a PM if you would like any more info. I have tested more than I posted.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=74433

Steve

Ya, Steve is our resident 325 load developer! Thanks Steve!

Thanks Perry,

Think I might get to sneak off again in the morning and try some R-17 loads.

Chaps, It has been my experience that Barnes TSXs like a lot of jump. I reload them in several calibers and have shot them for years. I get my best groups in most rifles at about .050 from the lands give or take .005

Good luck with your rifle and load work, look forward to hearing how it works out.

Steve

We just got back from a trip outside, been gone for 9 days. Time to get back into the swing of things.

Oh and ya, even Barnes suggests .050 OL for the TSX's.

Default .050

Thanks Steve and Perry!

Default range results .325WSM load workup

Interesting results. A friend of mine also purchased a Winchester Extreme Weather in .325 WSM and we worked up the same loads and shot the same day, sitting next to each other on solid concrete benches, using excellent rests fore and aft, with a covered roof, although a bit windy and very warm that day.

We used RL19 and RL17 as our powder choices due to availability and the proven accuracy performance of RL17 in my .270 Win and .270 WSM of another friend's rifle. We also wanted to work up loads with a heavy bullet, not much bullet choices in 8mm (.323) so we selected two bullets, Barnes TSX 200 grain and Nosler Accubond 200 grain.

So, each rifle tested used RL19 at 67, 68, 69 grains with 200 gr TSXs and 200 gr Accubonds at each grain weight of powder. Also, each rifle tested used RL17 at 63, 64, 65 grains with 200 gr TSXs and 200 gr Accubonds at each grain weight of this powder.

SOP for load workups, shoot a group of three and then let barrel cool, clean barrel, shoot the next group.

In our first range trip, my rifle seemed to prefer the Nosler Accubond 200 grain loaded to max load listed in manual, 69 grains of RL19. This produced a .8 inch group at 100yds. My friend's .325 WSM rifle liked the max load of RL17 at 65 grains using Barnes bullets. His produced just about 1.0".

The remaining groups for both of us were mostly approximately 1.5 inches, with one group from my rifle at 3.2" using RL17 63 grains. yuk.

We are working up more loads, wondering if I should go incremental between grains, such as 68.3, 68.5. 68.7, and so forth?

As far as the rifle is concerned, this is an amazing rifle. It has a great feel to it and the trigger breaks clean at 3.2 lbs. The craftsmanship and finish work is superb, the stock is a stout piece of gear, firm to the grasp and comes up sweet to the cheek. I love the way this rifle feels in my hands, it is well designed and has a smooth functionality when working the bolt, rounds smoothly enter the chamber and are ejected like exhaling a breath. I have yet to hunt with it, this Fall of course I will, but it seems tough, is high quality, and more than ready for the great Alaskan outdoors.

My extreme weather really liked the RL-17 and the 200g Nosler Accubonds. 67.5g put 3 in the same hole with velocity over 3100.

For 180 grain Barnes TSX 62 grains of RL 15 gives sub .5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards at 3070fps. Of course this is what works out of my individual Kimber. Consult the book and work with caution.

Brett

Default pressure signs?

The 67.5gr amt for RL17 using 200gr Accubond is 2.5gr higher than the manufacturers manual recommends, did you have any pressure signs with this load? I see those three holes and they are sweet looking but I am concerned of overpressure.

I had no signs of high pressure. Went up to 69grains during development. Started to lose both accuracy and velocity after 67.5g, use caution and work up.

Steve