Thread: Anyone gone to the UAF Gun Show?

Default Anyone gone to the UAF Gun Show?

I just got back. Man, the people there seem to be real proud of their guns, because they're selling them for outrageous prices. I know gun shows typically run on the upper end of the price scale, but my god, this one is just ridiculous. There was a used Glock 22 for $690! That's about $150 more than a new one at Fred Meyer's. I went in looking for some magazines for an H&K USP, and I found some used ones going for $35 a piece! That's the exact same price as new ones at Sportsman's Wearhouse. There was one booth that seemed to have some semi-reasonable prices on some handguns (particularly an FN FNP-9 for $400, which isn't bad at all), but other than that, it was crazy. I'm not sure how any of the venders plan on paying for their booths if their going to blatantly rip people off.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    I just got back. Man, the people there seem to be real proud of their guns, because they're selling them for outrageous prices. I know gun shows typically run on the upper end of the price scale, but my god, this one is just ridiculous. There was a used Glock 22 for $690! That's about $150 more than a new one at Fred Meyer's. I went in looking for some magazines for an H&K USP, and I found some used ones going for $35 a piece! That's the exact same price as new ones at Sportsman's Wearhouse. There was one booth that seemed to have some semi-reasonable prices on some handguns (particularly an FN FNP-9 for $400, which isn't bad at all), but other than that, it was crazy. I'm not sure how any of the venders plan on paying for their booths if their going to blatantly rip people off.
    While I was attending UAF ('98-'04), the prices rose every gunshow. It was pretty much dealers the last couple of years, and oddly enough, the very same people in their campers, who, like Gypies, just follow the shopw and have tables with the same overpriced junk. Three times I found a good deal, once on a .500 A-Square ($1750), once on a guild rifle ($250), and another on a beautiful original 8mm-'06 conversion.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I think thats the last UAF gunshow that Ill go to. Everything was way over priced and the selection was pretty low unless you wanted a mid 1900's rifle.

I dont know whats going on with the shows in this town but I could say the same thing about the outdoor show. I went looking for a couple rod and reel setups. Ya know, there wasnt one person selling rods or reels this year, and honelstly, unless you wanted to purchase a boat, bike, or 4 wheeler there wasnt anything else but charter businesses.

What happened to the good ole days?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I think thats the last UAF gunshow that Ill go to. Everything was way over priced and the selection was pretty low unless you wanted a mid 1900's rifle.

I dont know whats going on with the shows in this town but I could say the same thing about the outdoor show. I went looking for a couple rod and reel setups. Ya know, there wasnt one person selling rods or reels this year, and honelstly, unless you wanted to purchase a boat, bike, or 4 wheeler there wasnt anything else but charter businesses.

What happened to the good ole days?

I went to the outdoor show as well. It definitely left something to be desired. It was great if you plan on going halibut fishing in Ninilchik this summer, being that every other booth was a fishing guide from that area, but other than that there wasn't much there. The best thing there was the flavored popcorn booth (of which, I purchased three bags).

Yeah the outdoor show was really disappointing this year.

As far as the beef jerky/candle show at UAF.. Err I mean the gun show... Yeah they seem to be really proud of stuff. I had a gun price bible with me, and a dealer said don't even stop, "I don't talk to people with those books"...

Wow is all I can say..

Default From the other side of the table

I get a chance now and then to sit with a friend and maybe sell a gun or two. If I'm lucky I may find something else to take home.
    This show I sold everything I brought. Somebody must have thought my prices were fair. And I bought one gun while I was there. I thought his price was pretty good too.
    My buddy bought some and sold a bunch. Funny thing is I did not hear anybody telling us our prices were too high. If a guy did not like the price, he walked on, if he saw something he liked, we dickered. Easy.
    I saw some old friends, shook hands with some new folks I had not met, and looked at some cool stuff. Some of the knife displays for instance, in my opinion, are very nice.
    I am not a dealer. I don't hardly know squat compared to most of the guys. But I find a way to have some fun and I keep it in perspective. None of the best deals I personally found were at gun shows. Other people seem to be much luckier than I am.
    I guess compare it to buying a car. Are you going to get the best deal or best selection at the dealers? Gun shows may not be much different.
    And as for the gun bible, we had one, and we used it. Turned out the gun I bought was MSRP $775 new, and the used Excellent price was $600. The guy offered it to me well less than that and I took it. I'm glad I did because I just got home from shooting it. And it is a keeper.

Glad to hear of some decent deals. They are there, sometimes hard to find. I bought my .44 mag at one in Pioneer Park 2 shows ago. Good deal and very happy with it. Got a rifle for my son 3 years back at the Patty ctr too for a reasonable deal.

Just thought it was rude of the guy to tell me to move along because I had the gun bible...I moved along too and laughed at his prices. ))

Default And one more thing

I can't tell you how many arm loads of ammo I saw walk out of UAF over 2 days. Ammo can after ammo can left the house. Prices on ammo was better than about anywhere else.
    In fact a sponsor on this forum advertised 10mm at close to $20/box, but when it came in the price rose to $29/box. I bought UMC 10mm for $25/box at the show, and there were ammo cans full that worked out to about $24/box.
    If you weren't happy, don't come back, that's cool, but I saw a lot of people leaving with smiles on their faces and goodies in their hands. I'd hate for people to read your report as gospel and give up on the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    Yeah the outdoor show was really disappointing this year.

As far as the beef jerky/candle show at UAF.. Err I mean the gun show... Yeah they seem to be really proud of stuff. I had a gun price bible with me, and a dealer said don't even stop, "I don't talk to people with those books"...

Wow is all I can say..
    I have a story like that. I was at the Palmer show a few years back trying to sell a Marlin 444 when one of the guys at a table said he was interested, then he pulled out a gun blue book, looked in it and said I wanted too much ($400). I asked if I could borrow his book to check the prices of the guns on his table. He quickly put the book away. I walked away laughing.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I picked up a handful of items at the show myself, including some affordable ammo. I found that the prices ran the gamut from surprisingly reasonable to highway robbery. I tend to set myself a shopping list with price ceilings, and a budget for impulse buys. I fulfilled my list and kept to my meager budget (mostly). As always, I enjoyed meeting and chatting with folks and will continue to attend.

Default Can't say as I blame you DarkP.

I would have done the same. Just laugh and move along. Let him carry his stuff out by himself or give other people the chance to help him. No problem.
    I saw one guy with two glock 20 in 10mm at the show. One looked brand new, the other just like new and both were below $500. I've seen a G20 advertised lately on line for $610 and I don't hear or read anybody saying that the guy is trying to rob people.
    It would be fun to go to other shows than just the ones in Fairbanks. But occasionally we see something new and fun. Then there is the guy with the shiny silver metalflake rifle that we keep hoping somebody picks up. Must be somebody that wants to own the worlds gaudiest and ugliest rifle.

Hung out all day Saturday at the show. Sold quite a bit of ammo. Saw some pretty good deals, if it was what you needed. Also saw some somewhat overpriced stuff, but you will see that anywhere, and its relative, I think. Most of the small dealers you see at the shows aren't buying a 40 foot vanload of goods like Wally world or Sportsmans whorehouse, so they don't get the discounts for volume buying that the big guys do. Also, the old saying goes, " if you want it for the shooters bible price, buy it from shooters bible." Those publications are just a guide, and have no real bearing on reality. The best price guide I've found is gunbroker, look to see what a particular item is actually SELLING for, not what folks are ASKING. That'll give you a good idea of the current market value of a particular firearm. The guns that are getting bids are the ones that people are interested in. The overpriced ones aren't. Same at the gunshow.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Gunbugs makes great sense

Leave the bible home. Bring the laptop or blackberry or whatever people carry these days. Check different sites and see what the real world is doing.
    There are several on line firearms auction sites where you can see what the auctions closed at. Then go to AK on line sites and see what items are at least starting out at. That's fair. And makes good sense.
    The argument about on line auction sites will be shipping, handling, and FFL charges added to the cost of the firearm.

Well, I was looking for a 2" 357 for my wife for her CCW and the only one there was a smith 640 which was selling for over $800 (in the blued version). We left and picked up the same gun in stainless at sportsmans for under $650, and yes, that was the only small revolver there on Saturday, I cant speak for Sunday.

Im not saying there werent deals, there just wasnt much of a selection (much like the outdoor show).

You may find this as odd as I do, the prices seem to go down the last few hours of the show and on the last day before every one has to drag the crap home again. Also it is nice if what you want is still there when you want it. The best thing (at least that works for me) Make and offer up front, the last day of the show they usually come and find you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thinking back on those shows brings up one rather humorous memory: a fellow was there who had a bunch of top-quality automatic knives. Having only seen them in the blade magazines, I asked if I could handle one. He handed me the knife and told me it had a pretty strong spring in it to open the blade. As the last syllables were crossing his lips, I pressed the button and found out he was correct. The blade flipped open and the knife sailed right out of my hand and almost stuck the guy. I was mortified; I wished a crack would have opened in the floor so I could have fallen in, but the fellow just chuckled and told me, "happens all the time".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default where else

..can you go and handle, I mean actually hold a very first year 1911? Touch and feel and smell it? And a first year Browning High Power? And all sorts of other cool stuff?
    I've walked past tables without really a thought about something, asked a simple question, and the next thing I know the owner is handing me a very special item.
    What about holding part of a gun from Custer's last stand? And knives handmade w/ TLC from some great guys? And at UAF, we even get to fondle candles and jewelry. It still seems a bit incongruous to have a couple of those booths there, but the people that do must find it rewarding as they keep coming back.
    And let's not forget the goodies. Home made brownies, cookies, and flatbread. YUMMY!
    There is the occasional curmudgeon. I typically know who they are at this point. But most of the sellers are happy to be there and are willing to share knowledge and stories with a wide variety of people.
    Irregardless, would you rather be home changing a wax ring on the toilet or walking around a bunch of guns? $4.00 is about as cheap of entertainment as you'll find these days.
    Speaking of wax rings..............

Ya, and the good info you can get as well. At the alaskaland gun show last winter Greg you were there with your friend. The big guy about the size of Griz I bought a couple holsters from him and he told me about the Wyoming Combo holster he has and loves. I've since bought one for my scoped Bishunter. All thanks to the gunshow and the people there.

Default I remember you at that show

His box of holsters is getting smaller. It is amazing watching people dig through those containers like a kid at Christmas. Fun for us to just see them excited. As I recall you got a couple of screaming deals too.
    My buddy is a great guy and a wealth of info. And all the info is free. I've learned a ton from him and other guys at the shows. I can't recall hiim ever asking an unreasonable price for a gun. People may not like the gun, or the price, but will rarely find better deals than he has.
    He already has tables reserved at the next gun show. Hope to see you there!