Thread: Ed spotting scopes

Default Ed spotting scopes

I just got drawn for a Tok sheephunt. I have been looking at spotting scopes and I was wandering if Ed glass was worth the extra money? Any info would be great. Thankyou

I have a really hard time parting with that much money for something like this. I am 100% sure that they are better than other scopes, especially if you get into the high end stuff like Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, etc.

I would suggest finding a place that sells a few of these (sportsmans warehouse maybe) and get over there just before dusk. They'll usually let you take one or two outside at a time (supervised in my limited experience). Take a look at some things as the light goes down. This is where that better glass will make a difference.

The other thing to consider for a sheep hunt is weight. I have hauled some heavy glass around with me before (I used to have an 85mm Zeiss). I won't be doing that anymore. In fact, I've been trying to convince myself to downsize my scope again (60mm Nikon Fieldscope, 2.5 lbs or so) to get the 50mm Nikon Fieldscope (1 lb). Generally the bigger scopes will give you more visibility, especially as it gets dark, weigh more, and have more zoom capability (which is often negated by heat wave distortion at the higher zooms).

Many of the sheep hunters here use smaller scopes that weigh less, zoom less, etc.

Good luck
    Richard

Default Nikon

Oakman is your Nikon ED? Right now one of the spotters I am looking at is a Nikon Fieldscope III ED with the 20x-60x eyepiece. I found a place selling the kit for $899. Are you happy with your Fieldscope?

Default Craigslist

I believe there's a SMOKIN' deal on a Nikon on Craigslist right now. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1696570740.html

If'n I didn't own my Swarovski, I'd be on that like an IRS agent on a paycheck!

Cameraland NY has some good deals on the Demo Nikon field scopes III ED right now, $580, thats a pretty smokin deal.