Thread: TCC's Mike Smith, from the interior

Default TCC's Mike Smith, from the interior

Just appointed to the BOF, In Janet Wood's place. This should make things interesting at the next couple of BOF meetings.
    I don't know him but know he has been around the resource for years and should lend some experience to the different debates.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/151339.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Just appointed to the BOF, In Janet Wood's place. This should make things interesting at the next couple of BOF meetings.
    I don't know him but know he has been around the resource for years and should lend some experience to the different debates.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/151339.
    Very very interesting indeed, and scary in my opinion, unless you're indigenous of course
    I was born here but apparently my ancestors dropped in from outer space. WAIT! the Kennewick man can exonerate me thank God for the Kennewick man! What, The Bureau of Indian Affairs took custody? Dang there goes our proof we aren't alien to this planet whop...
    Last edited by fullbush; 04-24-2010 at 17:25. Reason: can you say Boldt decision? :eek:

Doesn't look good for sport fishermen on the surface. I'll adopt a wait and see attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Doesn't look good for sport fishermen on the surface. I'll adopt a wait and see attitude.
    yes willphish the ugly head of subsistence is where us commercial guys and sportsman can find common ground. If need be we can join forces and circle the wagons w/ the best of em. Ever see a gillnet pinned bank to bank across a river in the middle of downtown seattle? Just think of one pinned across the kenai BANK 2 BANK makes me shutter
    Last edited by fullbush; 04-24-2010 at 21:18. Reason: Sean Parnells makin some moves

Default Fullbush... Hate to say it but

Those nets have chocked off the Kasilof. Been there three years ago and saw it with my own eyes. They threw nets out right at my feet while I was dipping. Also have met a comfisher, that sits on the Anch. AC that, has put his net across. He has said it is not a very pleasant experience but has done it and will do again, if allowed to. It is called a terminal fishery,... Gee, I wonder why?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

in the event of an over escapement is why they have had terminal openers. thats not what i'm talking about whop

Default here is some more inf/BOF appointment

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_...dow_left_top_4

He says he is for Subsistence/personal use.

Default Sheesh...

Yikes...lots of strange stuff on here. I'll have to bit my tongue with this reply.

First of all, though, are the comments about Kennewick man and the BIA taking over. What's the problem with having a Native person on the BOF? Was he appointed just because he's Native...heck no...he has a lot of experience with fisheries, mostly within the interior and he's acknowledged that he's got some things to learn as he now has to take a statewide perspective.

Second, and more troubling are the comments about the "ugly head of subsistence" and that this doesn't look good for sportfishing. Every now and then, I peek into the game mgmt forum and I see a bit of this over there, and I guess I'd be willing to turn the other cheek to someone's personal opinion if it was on a specific matter, but I find it way more than offensive when cast as a broad statement. Subsistence is afforded a priority use for many good reasons, and to see folks shat on it when it gets in their way is bothersome.

I've known Mike for a while now and I think he'll do just fine. I'm sure I won't agree with every single vote he makes while on the BOF, but that's not the point. The point is to get a BOF with members that, in total, bring a broad range of knowledge and experience to the table.

okay, I'm done. just had to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by MRFISH; 04-25-2010 at 17:01. Reason: final thoughs added

Default Mr.Fish, I would have to agree

I think Mike will do a good job. As long as he has been involved in fisheries, it can only help bring a good perspective, methinks
    Looks like he has also been on both sides of the fence, just like Johnstone. It can't hurt and can only help. Everyone that I have spoken to with, has said it was a wise choice. Hope for all our sakes, those people are right. Now he will find himself involved in statewide issues, Good Luck... Mike.

MRFISH--excellent post and now I need to take a breath and gather myself..
    The last thing I want to do is turn this into a race issue, I'm a 3rd generation Alaskan w/ a Native daughter and cousins, but thats neither here nor there. I have zero problem w/ having the entire board be Native, but when you take into consideration the words of the Natives at their conventions on subsistence, their elite indigenous status.
    I better stop here because as a caucasian I can't speak my mind like a Native because its considered racial and I don't want flame warning. All I know is if you want to see a people divided lets bring up subsistence. I appreciate your thumbs up on Mike Smith and certainly feel better about him after what you said.

Well, sorry if I over-reacted to anything.

Fullbush, we have a lot in common. I'm 100% honkey (norse/french), but wife and kids are part Native. It's not necessarily the family linkage that paints my views on subsistence, so much as many years living, working and traveling throughout the State (especially the smaller communities/villages) that has given me my appreciation for subsistence...and the need to preserve it.

Subsistence is not a Native issue, nor should it be something strictly for Native Alaskans...although, as a group, it's definitely more of hot button/high priority issue than others.