Thread: Off the lands

Default Off the lands

Okay this "off the lands thing is driving this rookie crazy. I'm loading for a Winchester .338 win mag. Is there some reason when I mark the bullet with a marker and put it in the chamber I can't see any rifling marks?

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default off the lands...

A couple things come to mind..first, is your bullet fairly snug in the case mouth when you attempt this, or is it able to slide into the case easily? or perhaps you have a lot of free bore and may be unable to contact the rifling.

Default Carnivore...

are you attempting to load to factory OAL of 3.34"? if so, you will not come into contact with the rifling.

I've used the technique that you are talking about...at least what I think you're talking about. It's outlined step by step in the Nosler Reloading Guide (5th edition), p. 42-43. Go back and review the procedures again. It works pretty well, too. However, a couple of years ago I bit the bullet (not an intentional pun, but pretty good), and I bought a Stoney Point OAL guage. It is great, and easy and accurate.
    Good luck sir,
    Doc

I find it much easier to accomplish the same with a set of Stoney Point gages and a caliper. Also, instead of using a permanent marker, use a dry-erase marker, or a candle: light the candle until it creates enough smoke, and then coat the bullet with the smoke rising from the burning wick. But a dry-erase marker is much easier to use.