Thread: compact bino's?

Default compact bino's?

most of us here I presume carry binocs of some sort....of late I am finding that the pocket bino's would seem handy, less weight and well just handy. Checked a friends Leica pocket and they are sure nice but spendy.....gettin the most for your money who makes a good clean glass for a hiker/hunter that would enable to fit in your pocket and out of the way without breaking the bank.....

give me your take...will be in Fbks tomorrow and will be looking to pick up a pair but need prior info...

regards,

I'm not sure what you are considering spendy, but I got a pair of Steiner Predator 8x22 bino's a couple of years ago for $140. They are compact, nice and light weight with excellent glass.

kingfisher, that price is good and reasonable but how you figure the resolution on that glass to be? I had many yrs. back the 8X30 forgot what model but it was the full size and the resolution and/or clarity was not good. think I paid 199.00 for them at the time....gave them away.

Grizz,

I have a set of Leica compact binos that I traded a tent to get, but haven't really used them that much. Here is what they are:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40342

I'd sell them to ya for $250.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    kingfisher, that price is good and reasonable but how you figure the resolution on that glass to be? I had many yrs. back the 8X30 forgot what model but it was the full size and the resolution and/or clarity was not good. think I paid 199.00 for them at the time....gave them away.
    As I mentioned in my 1st post--good glass. My set has excellent clarity.

Hopefully you'll find numerous pairs to try out so you can make those comparisons.

BTW--Lanche's deal sounds pretty good too.

Them Steiners had a good read on the make you mentioned Kingfisherktn....I like the rubber O rings in the make to prevent moisture entering, don't know just how good but should be good enough if I dunk myself for a "fast" moment then out it won't wash them out. ha

Alaska_Lanche....that is an exceptional deal on good glass! Thankyou for the offer, I am gonna do a bit of checking in town as suggested.....if one here's makes an offer take it, I won't begrudge you one bit. As I stated....that is a marvelous deal!

I have a small pair of Nikon binocs. I think they are 10x25. I think they're great. I seem to remember paying about 80 bucks for them. They aren't as good as full size binocs when the light levels are low, but they sure are light, fit in my pocket easily and give me a quick look at things. If something looks interesting, then I can drop my pack and get the spotter out.

I have 10x25 Swarovskis and don't go anywhere without them. In 96 I had planned on buying Leupolds but then the sales guy had me try the Swaros night and day difference. I am glad I did because at low light with such a small diameter even the best glass can't get it done. Anything is better than no magnification but the more you spend the more times you can actually benefit from having them.