Thread: Where to snowshoe around Anchorage?

Default Where to snowshoe around Anchorage?

All,

Where are some places to snowshoe around Anchorage?

Thanks,

Gusto

The possibilities are numerous...what do you want in a location? Peace and quiet/solitude? Established trails? High-alpine areas, or low-lying forest?

A few options are the Glenn Alps trailhead (base of Flattop - you can explore quite a variety of trails from there), South Fork Eagle River (mi. 7.2 Hiland Road), or the Eagle River nature center. There are many more options, but these are good places to start.

-Brian

Try along Campbell Creek where the North & South Forks split(Piper St.). Start walking East by Southeast and you won't see another soul.

I love playing around on/off the trails out of Prospect Heights. Not too bad a drive, ample parking, and everybody's dog friendly, it seems. Trails when needed, always lots of unused sections. I couldn't ask for more, I think.

I also like prospect heights, and echo the other locations.

If you want flats, pretty much all of Far North Bicentennial, BLM land at the various trailheads is fun for snow shoeing.

Plenty of trailheads off of the Seward along turnagain, and yes beware of avalanche terrain.