Thread: Wilson Narrows Cabin- I need fishing tips

Default Wilson Narrows Cabin- I need fishing tips

Hey fly fishing friends,

I am making a trip up from Dallas to Wilson Narrows cabin close to Ketchikan, the week of July 12-17. The cabin sits on Wilson Lake. Five other guys and I are flying via AA to Ketchikan, then taking a float plane to the cabin. Any tips regarding the area in general would be good, but we are really wanting to know about fishing. My group has decent bait fishing and fly fishing experience, but we know next to nothing about the area, how to fish it, what to use, who to talk to in Ketchikan, etc. Any information you guys have regarding all that would be greatly appreciated.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmo9 View Post
    Hey fly fishing friends,

I am making a trip up from Dallas to Wilson Narrows cabin close to Ketchikan, the week of July 12-17. The cabin sits on Wilson Lake. Five other guys and I are flying via AA to Ketchikan, then taking a float plane to the cabin. Any tips regarding the area in general would be good, but we are really wanting to know about fishing. My group has decent bait fishing and fly fishing experience, but we know next to nothing about the area, how to fish it, what to use, who to talk to in Ketchikan, etc. Any information you guys have regarding all that would be greatly appreciated.

MG

Lots of dollies and cuts in Wilson. I like to fish where all the little streams come into Wilson. The lake is large. Don't be afraid to explore. If I remember right there are a couple places where the bank is almost like a wall, and that might be productive. The outlet at the opposite end from you (other cabin) is also an EXCELLENT place to fish.
    The cutthroat are greedy bastages and will eat almost anything in the morning and evening. You can see them boil up and start eating like crazy. One time we threw some leftover pancake mix out there and it was nuts. Like watching a drunk football team at Dennys or something.

Leaches and buggers for dollies, sometimes it seems like dollies like a lot of flash and pizazz on their food. So if you're tying your own, tie a few leaches with a lot of crystal flash just for kicks. Drys of all shapes and sizes and nymphs of all shapes and sizes for cuts.

I'm told that there are silvers in there. Land locked ones. (kokanee??) But I've never caught one. Maybe try trolling with some spin gear set deep, and perhaps a lunker will emerge from the bottom... never know.

Bring an outboard and lots of fuel. Bring some big ass collapible water jugs. Bring lots of adult beverages. Pancake mix and bacon.

That has been my experience. You'll catch fish. No doubt. Have fun.

edit: depending on how long you're in town, go in and talk to the fellas at : The Hook Up, fly shop. Same building as sockeye sams, by the tunnel, before Tongass trading. Can't miss it.
    I want to say its hookupflyshop.com google it.

Wilson Narrows Cabin is at the outlet on the south side of the lake, Wilson View Cabin is at the inlet on the north. I researched this lake myself recently but found it was too early for my trip timing in May. We are staying elsewhere and doing a steelhead trip instead. I am however flying over Wilson Lake after our trip just to see it and for future reference. Likely will get up there next summer.

Forget Kokanee (which are landlocked reds) and all that, this lake is known for cutthroat trout. The state record in fact came from this lake. The fish was 8 lbs 6 oz and caught in 1977. Read up and learn more about cutthroat trout if you are hoping to have a good fishing trip on Wilson Lake. Bait is not allowed from what I recall.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...37;5Etrout.php

Look into flies such as Royal Coachman Buctails. I just got some great looking ones from Millers Fly Shop (website and Ebay store). They are located 2 hours east of Dallas. www.millersflyshop.com Great source for flies. Also, be sure to check out www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com as they sell the best flies you can get. The fly shop mentioned in the earlier post, Hook'em Up, is out of business.

I would take a 4-5 wt flyrod and a good variety of flies. Perhaps some stimulators or something as well. But mostly I would focus on subsurface patterns like beadhead woolly buggers, royal coachman bucktails, and assorted baitfish patterns. It may be worth having a deep sinking line in addition to a WF line.

It is a beautiful lake from what I can see and you guys should be in for a treat. Be sure to rent an outboard and take gas as this lake is about 5 miles from end to end. Take extra beer and food. How bad could it be

If you somehow remember, I would love an email after your trip to hear how it goes. As I said, I will be taking the wife up there next summer most likely. My email is danattherock@hotmail.com

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default cutthroat flies...

Check out this pretty basterd...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Wilson Narrows Cabin is at the outlet on the south side of the lake, Wilson View Cabin is at the inlet on the north.
    oops.. Dans right. Narrows is where Wilson river leaves the lake. View is the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Hook'em Up, is out of business.
    ???????

Great stuff guys, thanks a bunch. Dan I will try to email you once we get back to let you know how it went. Couple more questions I thought of:

I know this is the fishing forum, but is there any type of hunting that you can do out there?

Should we bring waders of any kind?

I assume the raft out there is compatible with an outboard motor?

Mitchell George

Great stuff guys, thanks a bunch. Dan I will try to email you once we get back to let you know how it went. Couple more questions I thought of:

I know this is the fishing forum, but is there any type of hunting that you can do out there?

Should we bring waders of any kind?

I assume the raft out there is compatible with an outboard motor?

Mitchell George
    There won't be a raft at the lake, there will be an aluminum skiff you can use the outboard on.

Always bring waders into SE lakes, they'll help you stay dry in rain storms and you can use them for wading/fishing.

The only critters you would find would be black & brown bear and goats. You would need a guide if you wanted to shoot brown bear. But all seasons are closed that time of year.

Yeah, good rain gear and chest waders highly recommended. Ketchikan is wet...very wet. I spent the last week there and now understand the jokes about becoming moss covered and waterlogged. Probably rained about 80% of the time I was there.

Default food storage?

Do you guys recommend keeping food in the cabin or hanging in bear bags in trees?

Also, how far away from the cabin do people usually clean fish?

Do you guys recommend keeping food in the cabin or hanging in bear bags in trees?

Also, how far away from the cabin do people usually clean fish?
    You should be fine keeping the food in the cabin. And I would clean the fish at the lake before you bring them to the cabin.

Probably consider yourself lucky if you even see a bear.

Default more questions...

Hey boys,

More questions on our future trip to the Misty Fjords area.

-We will be fishing in and around Wilson Lake, and will see many different fishing environments requiring different types of fly lines (sinking, floating, etc...). Would it make sense to bring reels pre-loaded with each type of line, or just one reel and load each line as we move around?

-We hear that cuttrhoats are abundant there, what are some attractive fly patterns or artifical lures for a bait casting rod?