Thread: Bear Bait NOOB! Help?

Post Bear Bait NOOB! Help?

Okay, so im not completely new to hunting, but this whole Alaska thing has me thrown off. I am used to setting up corn feeders and such, but nothing like this bear business! I have been reading these forums, and searching the net for some good solid information on what a new bear baiter would need, and what he/she should be prepared for. But I still feel like I am coming up short. Some of the information I am looking for includes but is not limited to the following:

While scouting, besides tracks on trails etc, what should I be looking for in a good bait site?

Tree stand or ground blind? How far away and how high up? I will be rifle hunting mostly this year.

Baits, I see a lot of dog food, popcorn and sweets ideas floating around. I dont expect moms secret recipe, but should the dog food be sweet? I will be getting a few scent balls from Jess (BE907)

What type of containers? 55 gal drums? Large garbage containers? Holes dug and covered in timber?

Honestly, any general information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

James

Quote Originally Posted by PlastikBulletz View Post
    Okay, so im not completely new to hunting, but this whole Alaska thing has me thrown off. I am used to setting up corn feeders and such, but nothing like this bear business! I have been reading these forums, and searching the net for some good solid information on what a new bear baiter would need, and what he/she should be prepared for. But I still feel like I am coming up short. Some of the information I am looking for includes but is not limited to the following:

While scouting, besides tracks on trails etc, what should I be looking for in a good bait site?

Tree stand or ground blind? How far away and how high up? I will be rifle hunting mostly this year.

Baits, I see a lot of dog food, popcorn and sweets ideas floating around. I dont expect moms secret recipe, but should the dog food be sweet? I will be getting a few scent balls from Jess (BE907)

What type of containers? 55 gal drums? Large garbage containers? Holes dug and covered in timber?

Honestly, any general information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

James
    Welcome to the Forum

Dense cover for the bears to feel comfortable coming in, yet open enough for good viewing and shooting. Close to natural game trails. I chose a small clearing with lots of dense cover all the way around.

Tree Stand, height of your choice, I make mine about 12 feet off the ground, but have seen them only about 7 feet. Shooting with a rifle I would choose open sight due to the low light conditions which you might be shooting. Place a barrel with a small hole in it (4.5"). I would place it no more than 50 to 75 yards away, so you can observe the bears better (look for rub marks). You can place it as close as you want. There are people that spear bears from the bait right under their stand.

Baits, dog food, popcorn, sweet stuff, bread, bear will eat anything and everything. You'll find that everybody that baits has their own opinion about what to use. A friend of mine tells me "they are just bears" don't make it any harder than it already is.

Make sure to do your homework when choosing a location. Now is the time to travel trails and look for sign of other bait stations in the area. Fish and Feathers will not tell you if there is another station close to yours.

Well Good Luck, we all hope to see pictures of you with a bear soon.
    -Caleb-

Get off the roads and trails. Like said before, get into the thick spruce with a little opening and put your barrel there. This part needs to emphasized, because it does not matter how good your bait smells, if your bait isn't in an area the bear feel comfortable in, you won't get them to come. It will not happen. I learned the hard way.

You can buy a 50# sack of dog food for $13. Add some molasses, which isn't too exspensive, and you've got bear bait. Blackies love the sweet stuff. Avoid meat or fish. You'll have brown bears in 24/7 and it will be hell getting them to leave.

Go pick up a bottle of the codeblue bear attractant at sportsmans and pour some on a rag and let it hang in the wind. Or talk to Jess here and see about getting some anise spray.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 04-24-2010 at 09:53. Reason: had misleading info
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Bait Bomb

On the opener we caught about 50 lbs of shrimp. I put all of the heads in a garbage bag with a small hole in the top, than hung it over my barrel. I am betting those Old Boys will be able to smell the shrimp heads for a long ways. If you have ever smelled spoiled shrimp, than I think you know what I am getting at. UCK!
    Of course I have Old Roy dog food (132 lbs) molasses, jelly donut scent and a Bait'em Anise Sent Bell hanging in the tree too. :-)
    That ought to fix'em.....................lol!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Get off the roads and trails. Like said before, get into the thick spruce with a little opening and put your barrel there. This part needs to emphasized, because it does not matter how good your bait smells, if your bait isn't in an area the bear feel comfortable in, you won't get them to come. It will not happen. I learned the hard way.

You can buy a 50# sack of dog food for $13. Add some molasses, which isn't too exspensive, and you've got bear bait. Blackies love the sweet stuff. Avoid meat or fish. You'll have brown bears in 24/7 and it will be hell getting them to leave.

Go pick up a bottle of the codeblue bear attractant at sportsmans and pour some on a rag and let it hang in the wind. Or talk to Jess here and see about getting some anise spray.
    Thats pretty much it. and like it was said remeber KISS

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Thats pretty much it. and like it was said remeber KISS
    KISS as in Keep It Simple Stupid?

That would be it. "They are just bears" Don't make it any harder than it already is.
    Read over the bear baiting posts, pull the information that you find to be BS and discard it from your memory. Take the info that you find could be useful and mix in your own trial and error system, and you should be well on your way.
    Talk to Jess and Steve at Baitem 907, they have alot of good stories. Some from them and some from their customers. I see you have already bought stuff from them so I am sure you have already talked to them.

Good luck, you'll do fine.
    -Caleb-

Yes and no insult ment.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Yes and no insult ment.
    None taken, its a motto that my boss uses.

Default More tips

My best advice would just be to make sure your a mile away from any cabin or house, because the troopers do check bait stations for that purpose. I actually got in trouble for that last year. I would recommend stand height being at least 12 feet off the ground, more for brown bears than anything else. And like someone else said below find an area with thick trees and a small clearing. If your rifle hunting I would suggest putting your stand 40 to 50 yards away, just helps you get a way with a little more movement than being up close.

Sweet dogfood
    Mom's secret recipe
    Dog food
    5lbs white/or powdered sugar
    3 packs dry Jello of your choice
    Sprinkle all over the dog food and/or add some cob with molasses

Now there the secret is out
    It really is KISS.

Don't make a concoction and think to yourself "that won't work" It will trust me! Bears want a buffet of stuff not just a a green salad..
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

And if you have contaminated soil from bear baiting, you have to haul it all out. I guess they expect you to get a wheel-barrel and shovels for soil removal, or just do a really good job of concealing it somehow. Not that I would recommend that approach or anything!

Thanks so much for the information. Those are exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. Jess, ill be swinging through to grab some of your products soon.

Keep it coming!