Thread: Shore fishing Kings in Kasilof

Smile Shore fishing Kings in Kasilof

The wife wants to go clamming over memorial day at Clam Gulch. I figure I'll go with her and some of our friends for a while, but I'm going to try to break away and get up to Kasilof for some King fishing as much as I can.

The problem is 1. I've never been south of Soldotna and don't really know how or where to fish there, and 2. I've never shore fished for Kings.

Any advice on either of these problems?? Anybody else going to be there? I'm a born and raised midwestern states outdoorsman, but I'm trying to learn the ropes here now... Any help would be much appreciated!!

Give the fish something REAL to entice a bite.

DO NOT emulate the hordes of rippers.... they're very easy to spot because they give a water-ripping hookset at the end of each and every drift. Relentless, unnecessary hooksets are the unmistakable hallmark of seasoned snaggers. Remember legitimate king bites are measured in terms of rod-hours, not rod-seconds. Rest assured that Kasilof kings are excellent biters... especially when they're not getting ripped by the hordes of snaggers.

What's become such a rarity in the Kasilof People's Hole is a real presentation by a real fisherman... rather than the glorified snagfest that this wonderful fishery has morphed into the past 25 years.

Drift fish a small-to-medium Spin-N-Glo or spinning Cheater with a bit of eggs... or fish a bobber and eggs. Unlike the flip-N-rip crowd, using bait will actually discipline you NOT to set the hook when no fish is there to TAKE your goods. Unnecessary hooksets will only waste precious bait. You'll soon figure out that you'll only set the hook when you feel the weight of a fish and the heavy headshakes of a legitimate biter. FISH ON!

Good luck!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Read the regs for Kasilof kings

Great advise Doc, except that from below the bridge to the mouth it is closed to bait and multiple hooks until after May 15. Don't want anyone to get into trouble just starting out. Read the fishing regs because they have special rules for keeping kings on this river. Tight lines.

Roger that... but Memorial weekend is free and clear.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What about location? I can see from topical maps that there seems to be a fair amount of access. Places to or not to fish? Anywhere there's water?

When you say snagging, are you referring to the big treble hook rippers or just those that finish a drift with a hard jerk?

Where do you practice fishnphysician?

Doc is referring to the "Kenai Twitch" style of fishing - made famous on the Kenai for sockeye, but is also very common on the Kasilof for Kings as well. If you want to drift bait I would go down to Coho Cove. There will be less crowds and you can walk up/down the bank for quite a ways to access fishable waters.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Great! Hopefully I can learn a lot from watching people fish there... and maybe someone will take me under their wing and show me the ropes. Anybody going to be there Memorial Day Weekend?

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Great! Hopefully I can learn a lot from watching people fish there... and maybe someone will take me under their wing and show me the ropes. Anybody going to be there Memorial Day Weekend?
    Just you and 500 or more of you new best friends ;-)

I shouldn't give away my "secret" but I love fishing at the Crooked Creek area, but not where everyone else traditionally fishes. You access the river there from the Crooked Creek Campground and if you just walk downriver just above the lower rapids (you'll see what I mean when you get there) it's an area that is often overlooked by people. I've caught a lot of kings there by doing both the "spin-n-glo/eggs" drift and just plunking a spin-n-glo out into the current above enough weight to keep it stationary. I love that feeling of a big ol' king coming up and mouthing the bait for a second and then FISH ON!