Thread: Do NOT under-report your shrimp catches on your permit this year!!!

Exclamation Do NOT under-report your shrimp catches on your permit this year!!!

Does anyone else here think that the supposed "surplus" of shrimp ADFG reported may be directly linked to the personal use guys under-reporting their catches last year on their permit cards? I remember quite a bit of discussion last year on this very forum where guys were saying "report that you caught barely anything so ADFG thinks there's no shrimp!". It appears that ADFG did their own census of the shrimp population over the past few years via test-pots and came up with their own good number of the total population. Then they subtracted the skewed number that the PU guys sent in on their cards, and came up with an excess amount. I hate to say it, but I think the sport guys may have shot themselves in the foot on this one...

I wondered the same thing. Not sure how many under reported, I've tried to keep mine as accurate as I could. Time will tell on how this works out. Kind of a catch 22 now, over report and use fewer pots- under report and commercial guys get more.

I sincerly doubt very many people under-reported their catch. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'd like to think that most folks are honest and understand that F&G need accurate info to manage our resources and keep them healthy. I recall the discussion about this last year, but it seemed like most people didn't think it was a good idea.

I myself reported actual catches, but the majority of guys I know and talked with regarding this topic were under the assumption that under-reporting was the way to go. I truly believe that everyone needs to report their actual catches, no more and no less, so that ADFG can have non-manipulated figures to work with for developing the CY11 shrimping strategy.

Just to play devils advocate. Wouldn't it make more sense to over report numbers to attempt to give F&G the impression that there are way more shrimp in the sound to support higher pot limits? Any way, I would hope they have other data points than just going off waht people write on the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I truly believe that everyone needs to report their actual catches, no more and no less, so that ADFG can have non-manipulated figures to work with for developing the CY11 shrimping strategy.
    Good point, LV...not to mention that under or over reporting is illegal...

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Just to play devils advocate. Wouldn't it make more sense to over report numbers to attempt to give F&G the impression that there are way more shrimp in the sound to support higher pot limits? Any way, I would hope they have other data points than just going off waht people write on the permit.
    I had mentioned in a previous post that ADFG figured out the actual shrimp population by setting and pulling test pots of their own over the course of a couple years. They are in no way basing their estimated shrimp population figure off of what we are reporting. Instead, they are using the amounts reported on our permits to figure out what amount of the population is being removed by sport guys. If there's an excess, then they open it to commercial fishing or do things like EO's to lift the number of allowed pots. It's like this:

"ADFG Shrimp Population #" - "harvest #'s from permits" = "Excess"

Default Hey LarsenV

I didn't know that being a biologist was that easy???
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default test of honesty?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    ADFG figured out the actual shrimp population by setting and pulling test pots of their own over the course of a couple years. They are in no way basing their estimated shrimp population figure off of what we are reporting.
    If that's so, then maybe the result of the reporting is F&G making a judgment call about how dependable sportsmen are in their reporting?

Default Either way

reporting accurate numbers is a good thing. The more accurate the data the higher quality the decision. Personally I would hate to see our shrimp populations suffer from over fishing. In the long run that would be bad news for all of us

Default mis-reporting...

the only motive i can discern for erroneous reporting is greed.
    "more for me now and screw the future"
    this applies to every aspect of our sport and PU fisheries, as well as hunting.
    F&G's research is essentially hogtied by a lack of funds, and until that is remedied they NEED to be able to depend on us sportsmen for as much reliable data as possible.
    you lie in your harvest reports and you shaft us now and our kids in the future.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Too much credit to ADF&G?

I believe it is key to note in this situation that reporting actual numbers of shrimp harvested is crucial to the accuracy of the ADF&G. However, it is also important to understand that the ADF&G's record is far from stellar. While I believe the overall intentions of the ADF&G to be good we musn't be so reliant on a govt. system that allows things like dipnetting the Kenai... This certainly cannot be presumed to be a a sustainable practice. Or, for a more pertinent example, what happened to all the abalone that used to cover the bottoms in southern southeast AK??? Honesty is the best policy, and harvesting only what you need in all walks of life should be the takeaway message from this topic. Don't rely on the ADF&G to make this change, make it yourself and hold others responsible for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    I believe it is key to note in this situation that reporting actual numbers of shrimp harvested is crucial to the accuracy of the ADF&G. However, it is also important to understand that the ADF&G's record is far from stellar. While I believe the overall intentions of the ADF&G to be good we musn't be so reliant on a govt. system that allows things like dipnetting the Kenai... This certainly cannot be presumed to be a a sustainable practice. Or, for a more pertinent example, what happened to all the abalone that used to cover the bottoms in southern southeast AK??? Honesty is the best policy, and harvesting only what you need in all walks of life should be the takeaway message from this topic. Don't rely on the ADF&G to make this change, make it yourself and hold others responsible for their actions.
    Absolutely... we should all just use individual agency and a sense of honesty and responsibility here for the resource.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!