Thread: Best Prices?

Default Best Prices?

looking to pick up a 10-12 foot round raft, i know some places have guide discounts, but i'm trying to find who's got the best service/rates for rafts..never bought one nor owned one so i figured i'd check with the pros...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 10' sotar

I have a 10' urethane 40oz. SOTAR ALASKAN self bailer with 19" tubes and 2 thwarts. Brand new for $2,500, and a slightly used demo for $2,250. New boat warranty on both.
    Heavy duty fabric, big tubes that will haul a good load. Custom built for me.
    Goo
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308

Default 10-footers

Hi Jake,

More info would help... is this just for getting across the pond / river, or are you looking for something else? 10 feet is a bit on the smallish side.

If you just need something to get across the water with a hunter, there are lotsa ways to go. Let us know and we'll shoot you the info-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default 10'

Hey Mike, the raft i was talking about is the same as the green moose boat at the show, except 5' shorter in the straight section. Great R-2 boat for going without frame and lots of room in mid section. Have done a couple of two week trips on the FRANKLIN with one like her, but only 16" tubes. About 45lbs!! Maybe a good one for you???
    Goo

mike i've got a river i'm gonna be floating out this year, about 15 miles might hit class III for a couple miles, needs to be light enough to drag if we need to, maybe two or three people tops, with not much gear...
    needs to be portable via super cub...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default options

Jake

The NRS Livery Series is also an option. 10ft 6 inch retail without shipping is $1750.00, weight is 72 lbs. It is considered a bucket boat which in theory gives you a little more lift. Depending on your water classification i.e. Class III sometimes this is not the best option however if the heavy water is limited you are fine to go bucket boat.

AR&K call Tracy and ask about Guide / Outfitter Discounts normally about 40% plus shipping. You might have the option of obtaining a TM breakdown frame and oars with the potential discount as well and out the door between 2 and 2.5K can't speak for what the exact pricing will be just giving you estimates. The Livery is a very very foldable boat and at 10'6 it folds down to about as small as a boat can. the NRS is 1100 denier Hypolon which is the same material I run in my 15ft Otter in all kinds of messes.

As also the Sotar is an outstanding option as well and G is giving you good pricing options and at 45 lbs with 40 oz farb and poly coating it would more than meet your needs and demands.

Being that you are close to Anc might suggest you visit both and weigh your options both are good. Basic pricing and frame / oar options should be your final determining factor.

Best of luck with yuor purchase.

Blue Moose

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey Mike, the raft i was talking about is the same as the green moose boat at the show, except 5' shorter in the straight section. Great R-2 boat for going without frame and lots of room in mid section. Have done a couple of two week trips on the FRANKLIN with one like her, but only 16" tubes. About 45lbs!! Maybe a good one for you???
    Goo
    Hey Goo,

What's your price on that ten footer? Also, is it a bailer?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default 10'sotar

Mike, look at the first part of the thread. Have prices and description, yes SB with thick floor. Is that tough tan fabric.
    Goo

Default okay, some ideas-

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    mike i've got a river i'm gonna be floating out this year, about 15 miles might hit class III for a couple miles, needs to be light enough to drag if we need to, maybe two or three people tops, with not much gear...
    needs to be portable via super cub...
    Jake,

In terms of weight and sheer toughness it's gonna be hard to beat that SOTAR Goo has there. 45 lbs... sheesh. And I've seen that boat; it's tough as nails. Urethane coating on a poly base cloth. It's probably the lightest, strongest boat on the market. It will handle the abuse it's likely to see in the field under guiding conditions. And Goo will take good care of you if you ever have an issue with the boat.

A cheaper bet would be one of the NRS rubber boats, either the Otter Livery series or possibly the regular Otters (they're bailers). Those boats are armored pretty well and fold up real nice in the airplane.

You might also consider the AIRE Puma. It's a bit narrower than a conventional boat, and a little more than 10'. It's worth a look and it comes with that legendary 10-year no fault warranty (if you need that). No, the commercial warranty is only 5 years- sorry about that!

Okay so here is the breakdown that I see--

SOTAR Alaskan SB- $2250 (slightly used model from Goo)
    This boat weighs 45 lbs.

NRS Otter Livery Series 10'6" (non bailing rubber boat)- $1653
    This boat weighs 64 lbs.

NRS Otter SB 12' (they don't make a 10')- $2855
    This boat weighs 88 lbs.

AIRE Puma- $2889
    This boat weighs 88 lbs.

In fairness to Alaska Raft and Kayak (and Moose, who posted the info on the Otter Livery), you should give them a call and let them give you their pitch on these boats. They may be running special pricing too... and as Moose mentioned, they do offer special Outfitter pricing, so you want to check that out too.

You mentioned a couple miles of Class III. Not to poke at you at all, but Class III can be a bit challenging if you are not experienced. In fact it can be outright dangerous, especially with three people aboard. My suggestion (if you need it), would be to get some good practice runs in, hopefully on the same river you'll be working later. Go in real light and check it out very carefully from the air, noting any hazard areas and such. There are lots of guys here with experience that would be happy to go with you if you need a hand. And some of them don't hunt, so no worries about them giving away your secret spot. You might give Jim Strutz a call in that regard. I've been with him on the river and he has a wealth of common-sense river knowledge that would be very helpful for you. Anyway I don't know your experience level when it comes to rivers, so maybe there is no need for this, but I thought I'd mention it.

You'll want to look at your rigging too. Unless you and your guys are really experienced with paddles, I'd consider the NRS longhorn rowing frame. It's the simplest setup out there and will do you well.

Finally, in my opinion a ten-foot boat is really too small for three guys, unless you are just transporting without gear. You will be really heavy. I moved myself, a moose, and a hunter down a slough with the 12' Otter self-bailer and we had four inches of water over the floor. All we had was the two of us and my hunter's moose in the boat.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Mike, look at the first part of the thread. Have prices and description, yes SB with thick floor. Is that tough tan fabric.
    Goo
    Oh yeah, I see it there now! I need to learn how to read these here forums a little better...

Thanks for chiming in on this one- you've got a pretty amazing little boat there. Very impressive.

-Mike