Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tustamena Lake

Default Tustamena Lake

I'll be at the glacier end of Tustamena this fall for a hunt. I'm looking for some information on fishing that end of the lake. Are there decent fishing in any of the creeks on the north shore or any lakes on that end? Anything will help!

I've never had any luck fishing T any time of year, but by the time moose season rolls around there won't be much to even try for in the drainages. A few will still have spawned out salmon doing the death roll, but you can't fish those. I've heard of folks going after trout out in the lake, but that's about it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Nikolai creek

Try Nikolai creek for silvers. I have never caught one there but people claim they do.
    I always hear you were a week early or too late.
    Fishing Tustumena is spotty at best. I have seen a few fish caught in the lake but it is far from good fishing. regardless I would try it anyway. Bring a variety of spoons and spinners for lakers, rainbows,and dollies as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Nikoli creek has silvers during mid/late August, but you do have to be right on time or you'll miss them. #4 Vibrax work as good as anything. There are some small lakers near the Kasilof River outlet, which can be caught sitting some kind of bait on the bottom. There are also dollies that hang around the mouths of the creeks that run into Tustamena (i.e. Bear Creek).... be careful hiking up these kind of streams! Big time bear country!
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

The glacier end of Tustumena...

There are a few silvers that run up Indian Creek in the fall, but fishing is generally poor in the creeks. Lake trout can be caught from shore.

Good red runs up Glacier and Clear Creeks usually make for good brown bear viewing though.

If you're headed up the wall trail over Nickanorka Mountain you'll find trout fishing in Lake Emma.

Very interesting comments. The wife & I were in a boat on the Kenai this year with a brother & sister. They said the best silver fishing they ever had was at this lake. Not sure on the specific when, where, & how though. They stated they were taking a Tustamena fly out trip two days after they were with us (going July 28th). Makes you wonder!?!?

Not a chance. There wouldn't be a silver within 50 miles of Tustumena lake on July 30th. You've got to have your lakes mixed up.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Not a chance. There wouldn't be a silver within 50 miles of Tustumena lake on July 30th. You've got to have your lakes mixed up.
    Fifty miles... really? Maybe not many JOAT, but I'll bet there are a few. At least one anyway!

When does the Silver recon brigade first hit the Kasilof? 'Round mid-August, maybe as early as the 2nd week of August, right? And then they have to swim the entire Kasilof to get to the lake. Figure another week or week and a half to get to the lake. Good luck finding a silver in the lake at the end of July. Since the peak of the sockeye are hitting the Kasilof mouth around the 3rd week of July, what you're going to have in the lake at the end of July is nothing but reds. And fishing reds in the lake drainages is specifically prohibited.

And who would fly to Tustumena? You can drive there from Soldotna in a half-hour. Any fly out silver fishing trips on July 30th must be to a lower West Side lake.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

yep at the end of july all you'll see is reds and browns...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (98.4 KB, 167 views)
    • File Type: jpg 14.JPG (133.9 KB, 161 views)

Many years ago we fished Nikolai Creek. Hammered some HUGE silvers though most were slightly blushed. When we got there, we were fishing for trout and had a ball on small trout up to about 12 inches. Then we started hooking some nice silvers at the outlet. We definitely see bears while we were out there. These trips were typically in late August.

If you go by boat, know that the weather can change in an instant out there and the waves get BIG!

Dang! JOAT, you're just so, so, um, just so... right!
    But if I was a silver I would buck the system and hang with the reds, and I wouldn't be caught by anyone dumb enough to do a fly-in to T-Lake.

I still think there may be a few disfunctional silvers who have their timing mixed up.

I'd recommend doing some research of FWS papers there were some interesting weirs out there... I'm not gonna spill the beans though good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    But if I was a silver I would buck the system and hang with the reds, and I wouldn't be caught by anyone dumb enough to do a fly-in to T-Lake.I still think there may be a few disfunctional silvers who have their timing mixed up.
    Didn't catch it, but I helped eat a Silver that was caught over the Fourth of July Weekend, a couple of years ago.....just above the Crooked Creek confluence of the Kasilof. A relative was fishing for Dollies and wound up with a Silver in the bag. It weighed around 9 or so pounds. It happens.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Didn't catch it, but I helped eat a Silver that was caught over the Fourth of July Weekend, a couple of years ago.....just above the Crooked Creek confluence of the Kasilof. A relative was fishing for Dollies and wound up with a Silver in the bag. It weighed around 9 or so pounds. It happens.
    Man, I feel so vindicated!

I do believe my earliest Kasilof silver was on the upper river several years ago on August 5th. This was when we could fish the upper river from boats during that time frame and I was in my driftboat.
    I guess you never know when the fish will show up.
    Still it is unlikely that there would be any real fishable numbers worth pursuing in July. A fall hunt time should provide some opportunities though.
    I do have to agree with JOAT about a fly out trip to Tustumena as being unlikely.
    There is usually good Silver fishing on the west side of the inlet at that time of year and that is probably where nuprofessor's relatives were headed.
    Justin 262 do let us know how your fishing goes if you have time to try it during your hunt.

PS Sayak we still need to do that icefishing trip to Tustumena sometime if for no other reason than to say we did it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    Nikoli creek has silvers during mid/late August, but you do have to be right on time or you'll miss them. #4 Vibrax work as good as anything. There are some small lakers near the Kasilof River outlet, which can be caught sitting some kind of bait on the bottom. There are also dollies that hang around the mouths of the creeks that run into Tustamena (i.e. Bear Creek).... be careful hiking up these kind of streams! Big time bear country!
    i had 5 brown bears wander through the place over the weekend...they are stacked up like cordword up there and moving. ten years ago you would see a more even mixture of black and brown bears during the summer.

But now the browns are dominating the critter scene...

Great pictures Tustumena! I like the way the first one is framed by the foliage, but I gotta say, the scratches on the side of the cabin speak volumes!

i wish they would quit doing that. they used to just mark the trees and pull a little bark off to tell me i'm in their territory but now they've taken to marking the old cabin.

they like to fish the lake in this bay...its pretty cool to see them out swimming around and pull up a red salmon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast