Thread: Orvis 6wt for Reds ????

Default Orvis 6wt for Reds ????

I have an orvis 6wt that was given to me a while back. Is that too light for Russian River reds or do you think that it would sufficient?

thanks,

I've landed a few large spawned out reds on my Sage 6 wt. while fishing for trout. They didn't really fight and still put quite a strain on my rod. I don't know that I would want to do that to a good rod especially if the fish is large, has a lot of fight in it, and it gets into a fast current. You could finesse it, but it could take a while to land it which is probably not a good idea while combat fishing. I personally use an 8 wt. for reds and silvers.

I have also caught reds on a 6 wt but the fish is in total control not a good idea with all the people... it makes it fun though an 8wt is ideal

Default No'per

Ron and 9601 are giving you sound advise. Another river more room less current in the area you would be fishing sure it can be done however should it? Not really.

Best way to compare it if your fishing back home lets say for a 12 lb Bass would you bring a 6W to the fight if you know there would be a 6 MPH current.

8W works well and sometimes depending on the size of the fish and or the water level that can be a little tricky as well.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default Thanks guys

Good thing i picked up an 8wt recently

6 weight is good if you are fishin reds in small water, but if they have room to run and current to work with, then you have a mean fight on your hands. I've scared myself a few times with my 6 weight, hittin big reds in fast currents. 8 weight is definitely a better choice.

I used a couple of 7s last year and felt they were too small. When you're fishing shoulder-to-shoulder, people say some rather mean things when you have to play your fish. Learned some choice new phrases and I'm pretty sure some entirely new words.

Got a 8wt TFO last year, broke it 2x. I use a 10wt now.

Default 6 wt & TFO 8 weight

I carried a 6 wt the first time I fished there, but never used it. At least an 8 wt. since you have one, would be the way to go.
    I broke a TFO 8 wt as well. They cast well but do they stand up to normal fishing abuse? Good thing they have a $25 no questions or debate return policy.