Thread: Shrimping PWS

Default Shrimping PWS

Just got back from a couple days out in the Sound with akhunter300saum, we killed some shrimp. In this one pot we pulled over 4 gallons of shrimp in a 5 hour soak, it was incredible. Weather was crappy Wed. afternoon and Thursday morning but the sun came out in the afternoon and the water calmed down made for an awesome day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3m9kY8DOc

Default Nice!

How deep were you fishing? I have my pots rigged to fish 250' - 300' this year. We pulled about a gallon out after a 2 hour soak on Tuesday. I am considering buying more line to fish deeper though.

Anyone else want to chime in? I have heard it both ways '300' is plenty deep' and 'anything less than 500' is lame.'

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    How deep were you fishing? I have my pots rigged to fish 250' - 300' this year. We pulled about a gallon out after a 2 hour soak on Tuesday. I am considering buying more line to fish deeper though.

Anyone else want to chime in? I have heard it both ways '300' is plenty deep' and 'anything less than 500' is lame.'
    My most productive shrimping tends to occur between 425 to 550 feet deep. 250-300 seems way too shallow. I like to go "steep and deep", as Potbuilder always says.

Default Done

I agree. Like I said, we caught about 10 on a 2 hour soak at around 285' but I went ahead and got some more line to fish deeper. We'll be steep and deep tomorrow!

I agree with steep and deep, but I also have a place that is 525 ft flat muddy bottom where I catch good amounts of huge spots. Sometimes it's good to do a little prospecting. We were fishing at about 450ft and steep on that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I agree with steep and deep, but I also have a place that is 525 ft flat muddy bottom where I catch good amounts of huge spots. Sometimes it's good to do a little prospecting. We were fishing at about 450ft and steep on that video.
    This is also true. One of my top spots is a flat shelf that is 450 ft deep. The only thing I tend to notice when shrimping there is that we get quite a few more striped shrimp than usual. Other than that, it is always consistent. When steep and deep, we tend to catch the largest ones, and they tend to always be the spotted ones. The spotted ones are the best on the table IMO.

Steep and deep is the only way to go .

Wink

Just got back from a couple days out in the Sound with akhunter300saum, we killed some shrimp. In this one pot we pulled over 4 gallons of shrimp in a 5 hour soak, it was incredible. Weather was crappy Wed. afternoon and Thursday morning but the sun came out in the afternoon and the water calmed down made for an awesome day.
    Save some bugs for me! I'm not getting out until the 15th. Did you score any monster shrimp? Take photos of the big guys next to a tape measure and post on the derby thread.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Save some bugs for me! I'm not getting out until the 15th. Did you score any monster shrimp? Take photos of the big guys next to a tape measure and post on the derby thread.
    No huge shrimp, some big one's but no records. We did pull up an Octi with 5 ft tentacle's, it was a monster. It was so big it didn't even go all the way in the pot, it was just reaching in and eating like it was buffet.

We fished between 650' and 300', and found around 450' to be the best. The best pull was 8 pots at 4-5 hours and 6 gallons of shrimp.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded