Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living on Latouche Island

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    unless your last name ends koff the folks on chenega ain't going to go out of their way to help you let alone save your mail, supplies & groceries for ya. The hawkins idea is a good one. Pull into chenega with a boat low on fuel and see if they have any to sell ya bet you don't get much if any. Look for land out of the valdez area.
    Spent a week working in Chenega Bay once, on the CEO's mom's house....possibly the friendliest, most generous folks I ever worked for, anywhere, full stop....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Supporting Member

It will all look good for a few weeks. then reality sets in.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Supporting Member

If one of your big concerns is 'Taxes' you might be overlooking some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    This guy didn't die after a year on Latouche, might be the same guy as the guy who posted this thread...

https://www.mensjournal.com/features/man-versus-alaska-20150331/

That was a funny read! Takes plywood in and builds an 8x12 box. Was limited by what he could take in however strings up a live goat by its hind legs to a bulldozer to slit the throat. Yep- just happened to have a dozer sitting around, and if he had not killed the goat- the bears were going to get him......And carries a .380 to shoot game..(not one made that would be my first choice)...and wants to be away from civilization but has to be able to text....and he is so intelligent and states that calories are all the same regardless of what they come from (idiot). These stories make me want to puke. There are enough people out having good times (and rough times) daily that make good stories that there is no need for these inflated, and made up BS stories.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    That was a funny read! Takes plywood in and builds an 8x12 box. Was limited by what he could take in however strings up a live goat by its hind legs to a bulldozer to slit the throat. Yep- just happened to have a dozer sitting around, and if he had not killed the goat- the bears were going to get him......And carries a .380 to shoot game..(not one made that would be my first choice)...and wants to be away from civilization but has to be able to text....and he is so intelligent and states that calories are all the same regardless of what they come from (idiot). These stories make me want to puke. There are enough people out having good times (and rough times) daily that make good stories that there is no need for these inflated, and made up BS stories.
    Sounds like a plot from one of the reality shows. Were the Kilchers involved?

What is unfortunate is the thousands on accounts that could be told, by those who lived it, 60 or 80 years ago, but will vanish with their passing from old age. Sad, lost of history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12