I'm looking at buying a piece of land on Latouche Island.
I'm looking at two different options:
1) Living year round
2) Living 6-9mos and wintering down south
I have several questions and really need a local resource to help me get off to the right start. Is there anyone that would be willing to be a source of information.
1) Water - What is the water situation like on the island in the area of the old townsite / subdivision? Can you do a sand point well or is everything pulled out of a nearby creek/river?
2) Firewood... I originally wanted to build a cabin, but I heard you had to get a permit from the village mgmt organization to cut trees on the island. Is this true? Is there any area near the old townsite where you can cut firewood or logs for a cabin legally?
3) Boat - I was just going to get a small boat (16ft) to get back and forth to Chenega Bay Village to get mail and any supplies I ordered in. Is this feasible or is the passage between Latouche Island and Chenga Bay a deathtrap for small boats?
4) Hunting - How is the hunting on Latouche Island? Is there enough game there to supply most of the meat needed for survival? Obviously I would be eating fish and bringing in supplies as well, but I heard the deer were pretty good on the island. Is this true?
5) Supplies - My understanding is that there is little or no source of supplies in Chenga Bay. Is this true? No stores for food or basic supplies?
6) Cell / Internet - Any options other than satellite?
Thanks for any help!