Thread: marine water system

Default marine water system

My pump from water tank to sink won't shut off. This occured after I drained my tank last Fall by simply leaving faucet on and letting pump do the work. Any ideas what the problem is?

If you did not disconnect the inlet/outlet connections at the pump there was probably residual water near the pressure sensor that froze and broke the pressure sensor. You will probably need to buy a new pump. Next fall dosconnect the inlet/outlet connections at the pump to drain well.

Default Now you tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    If you did not disconnect the inlet/outlet connections at the pump there was probably residual water near the pressure sensor that froze and broke the pressure sensor. You will probably need to buy a new pump. Next fall dosconnect the inlet/outlet connections at the pump to drain well.
    Grrrrrr! looks like I'll be changing out my pump too, because thats exactly how I winterized mine by just running it till it was empty.
    Hopefully I'll get lucky

Wait a minute! My washdown will run sometimes, I just flip the switch off and it resets or whatever. Try turning off the battery and see if that shuts it off. Shurflo pump? I think they just do that sometime.

If you did not use ant-freeze in the water line you may have a broken pipe, check for leaks.

Sounds that was my problem! Thanks Rhorn!!

It probably froze....but it could be just be full of air too. Let it run for a minute or two before you tear into it. Whether you get away with this one or not, in the future put some RV antifreeze into your main tank and run everything until you see pink. If you have a hotwater heater, install the bypass because the chemistry of the RV antifreeze isn't good for hotwater heaters really. Besides that, they hold 6-10 gallons and RV/Marine antifreeze is expensive. I hope you all got lucky

Suddenly a light bulb turned on and I remember after running my water tank empty last Fall, prior to any freezing temps. I noticed the pump would not turn off! It is a Shureflo 1.6 gpm water pump. I have since taken it apart and I did find the filter screen filled with a black substance. I flushed it clean, inspected all other parts and manually depressed switch a few times. I am hoping something I did was right and when I wire it up all will go well. My only other thought is a leak at the faucet which is preventing enough pressure on switch to activate it, although I am doubtful this is the problem. More later.